Your Guide to Modding Fallout3!

SenitaL

The RAM boost thing is interesting, but don't 32-bit OSes have a bug where they can only utilize 2GB for a single program? if not than this is freaking awesome

I believe with this you can utilise 3GB of RAM with a 32bit OS, (thats just a limitation as you can only use around 3GB with a 32bit OS anyway) I doubt it's been capped for 64bit but i cant be sure until theres a bench for something that actually uses more than 4gb of RAM :P

32 bit = max ~3GB RAM

64 bit = max ~128GB RAM

Excellent guide. Didin't occ need some new guides ? In my opinion this certainly qualifies as a proper guide.

• Like 1

32-bit will use up to 4GB

The ~3GB limitation people keep talking about is a misnomer because that is what the operating system displays to the user and that value displayed to the user is sometimes different because it is dependant on the hardware of the PC, but despite that even 32-bit XP will use up to 4GB of RAM.

RAM Boosters and the ilk are mostly for older systems and for people who are multi-tasking all the time. Sometimes memory gets hung up after you close a program, these progs clean that up. So if you're constantly opening and closing programs, it could help a lot. If you're also someone who keeps their gaming PC up 24/7 than it can also help. But if you have 4GB or more of RAM and you shut your machine off every night than you probably won't gain much from it. In my own personal use with them, I still found a reboot to work better but it has been a few years since I used one so I'm sure they've improved the code by now. When I use to play EQ1, I'd use the RAM Booster/Cleaner before going to the next game to play ...but like i said, I found rebooting to be better. These are of course separate programs ...and are probably different than the RAM Boost you reference in the guide ...though I can't verify since your links are blocked in the location I'm currently at.

Those geeky nitpicks aside, even though I don't play FO3 this looks like a great guide! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks again Everyone! :happy: I've updated the Bottom section with more links and some Descriptions. I Really wanted to add some of this stuff into the main guide (Like the Supermutant Retextures, Destructable environments etc) because their so good (check them out!), but it would have unnecessarily bloated the layout which i wanted to keep simple. I'll continue to update the list if i find any more interesting additions. :cheers:

I believe with this you can utilise 3GB of RAM with a 32bit OS, (thats just a limitation as you can only use around 3GB with a 32bit OS anyway) I doubt it's been capped for 64bit but i cant be sure until theres a bench for something that actually uses more than 4gb of RAM :P

What I mean is not the OS seeing the amount of RAM, but a program USING the amount of RAM. Supreme Commander for instance can only use up to 2GB and it seems that this is true for most games that I'm playing like Oblivion and other games just max out at a certain point, but there is still a good 700-800 MB left

Argh Senital, you did this to spite me! Making such an awesome guide after Fallout lost its novelty for me :( Honestly, I've played through no less than 6 times!

lol, ive actually only played it through twice, both completionist runs but i haven't played Pitt, Point Lookout or Zeta.

Could i please get this thread stuck? ill be making more of these "guides" and tweak threads in the future, hopefully more people will join in and make some too. Perhaps there could be a new section like we have "Entertainment" in the members lounge? Would really appreciate this, thanks! :)

lol, ive actually only played it through twice, both completionist runs but i haven't played Pitt, Point Lookout or Zeta.

Could i please get this thread stuck? ill be making more of these "guides" and tweak threads in the future, hopefully more people will join in and make some too. Perhaps there could be a new section like we have "Entertainment" in the members lounge? Would really appreciate this, thanks! :)

I thought about throwing that idea out there too. The amount of stickies is getting to the point to where I have to scroll down just to see the non-sticky ones. Which i think is a good indicator we need a sub-forum for Gamer Tags and Guides.

I thought about throwing that idea out there too. The amount of stickies is getting to the point to where I have to scroll down just to see the non-sticky ones. Which i think is a good indicator we need a sub-forum for Gamer Tags and Guides.

Yeah, I would contribute to the VG Guides cause myself for sure. Perhaps we should just start doing something like this for all the major games out there that release the SDK (one thread for all the Source things though).

• 2 months later...