fresh install OS after mobo/cpu upgrade

so i'm planning that pretty soon ima be upgrading my comp up to AMD's beautiful new hexacore, and as well very likely a new mobo

i've heard when switching cpus and mobos that it's always a good idea to get a fresh install of an OS, however is it necessary, and is it really that important (a big deal)?

i don't have a copy of Vista or 7 and don't know how long it would take me to acquire it

so i'm planning that pretty soon ima be upgrading my comp up to AMD's beautiful new hexacore, and as well very likely a new mobo

i've heard when switching cpus and mobos that it's always a good idea to get a fresh install of an OS, however is it necessary, and is it really that important (a big deal)?

i don't have a copy of Vista or 7 and don't know how long it would take me to acquire it

Depends a lot on the chipset and platform that you are coming from and going to. AMD>Intel or Intel>AMD can be a pain. I always recommend a fresh install when swapping motherboards. Upgrading memory or cpu not a problem. I'm assuming from your post that you're running Windows XP? If so, just do a fresh install of that OS until you can swing an upgrade. Skip Vista all together and go straight to Windows 7 :)

i'm running vista, and have an amd chipset

the computer im running on now is/was a generic commercial gateway

i may just keep the same motherboard if it fits in my new case and is AM3 for awhile but that's another thing

so the general idea is cpu upgrades it really isn't a big deal, cept for maybe a bios update

but on a mobo switch a fresh install of preferably win7 is necessary

I ALWAYS reinstall when going to a new motherboard. Not doing that just creates more issues than it's worth. Even if you went into safe mode and uninstalled all the drivers, I guarantee you that you would still have wonky issues that just cannot be explained. But above all, when you switch motherboards, you're gonna have to validate your copy of windows again. So why waste a validation on an installation that isn't going to work right anyway? Just do a fresh install. And you can ALWAYS get Windows if you know how to.

Not absolutely necessary. I've changed my Mobo and CPU fro AMD to Intel and the OS seemed to cope with that. The fresh install is still a good idea but not absolutely necessary and as you have said, you dont currently have Access to the install disk so nothing really to lose.