Kingston SSD NOW V Series 128GB Tested

Nemo

Good review, as prices come down they get closer to where I can afford one of them. Price has been my limiting factor because I'm on a retirement income.

I'm sure that OS load times are stellar considering the read times posted in the review.

Still no load time comparisons? It would make choosing between an SSD and a traditional HDD easier for those many.

load time for what? OS? everyone already knows that SSD's drastically improve that aspect

load time for what? OS? everyone already knows that SSD's drastically improve that aspect

Various games and applications would be useful (or game load times while running an antivirus scan at the same time). Most people know SSDs make loading times go down but it's extremely hard to base a buying decision based on simple benchmark data alone because it doesn't always tell the whole story. I know the only reason I finally broke down and bought one was because I read a few reviews that had multitasking load times (various things loading at the same time) and a few game load time results.

The only reason we don't do load times is there is way to many varibles and the time it would take to retest every single drive we just don't have.

I understand that it takes longer but it would make the SSD / HDD reviews infinitely more valuable. Making a system image that includes all games and applications needed to test the drives would make things relatively simple...just copy the image to each drive to test (or look up old test numbers) and run from there. As far as the OCC reviews are concerned all SSDs are incredibly fast and there's nearly no distinction between them...

I value OCC's reviews a lot for most things but when it comes to SSD / HDD reviews I tend to look elsewhere simply because load times aren't included at all in OCC reviews. It hurts to say that because I consider OCC my home in terms of tech sites. :(

I understand that it takes longer but it would make the SSD / HDD reviews infinitely more valuable. Making a system image that includes all games and applications needed to test the drives would make things relatively simple...just copy the image to each drive to test (or look up old test numbers) and run from there. As far as the OCC reviews are concerned all SSDs are incredibly fast and there's nearly no distinction between them...

I value OCC's reviews a lot for most things but when it comes to SSD / HDD reviews I tend to look elsewhere simply because load times aren't included at all in OCC reviews. It hurts to say that because I consider OCC my home in terms of tech sites. :(

Its not just as simple making an image. Don't forget, drivers, Patches, window updates all affect load times. I could test 5 different drives and one mistake could screw everything up.

Thats why I don't allow it to many things make it not accurate. Going back and retesting every single drive for every single game patch etc is very time consuming. Which is why we will prob not be doing them down the road.

I hate you sometimes :lol:

You got me thinking about this again. I will revisit this again and decide if we are going to do it or not. I will keep you posted.