Time for a HTPC Build

Crazy_Nate

Hmm, no 25mm switches in sight...I'll have to look harder :closedeyes:

Anywho...three grills down, three to go! Don't forget proper safety gear when modding :)

post-32176-1270600715_thumb.jpg

Stock grill close-up:

post-32176-1270600800_thumb.jpg

Gone!

post-32176-1270601068_thumb.jpg

Back grills removed:

post-32176-1270600941_thumb.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Minor update...

Until I can figure out what I'm doing with the front panel, it's on the back burner - so to speak. Its mods won't affect fitment or the other planned mods, sooo. Yep. It's staying put.

Today, I ripped out the last of the fan grills. Still have a little bit of bench work to do: deburr, radius some sharp edges, take all the rivets out, and prep for... powdercoating!

Yep, that's right, I'm gonna powdercoat the entire case, minus the front panel (I like the hair-ed black anodized finish anyways). I plan on removing all the current paint, masking a few areas that might have fit issues, and then I'll have both the outside and inside surfaces of all parts coated. I'm gonna have it done in a medium texture carbide black. It shouldn't be too expensive since I work for the place that will do it :)

More pictures to come when that's closer to happening (probably next week)!! Stay tuned...

I can't wait for build pics.

Are you gonna be at your work while they powdercoat it?

I'd be interested in seeing some pictures of the process if you could...

I'll probably be busy when they do it... the process is pretty simple, though.

Prep.

Coat.

Cure.

But, what this really works out to is a very even coating of a fine polymer powder (from a spray gun). It sticks electrostatically, i.e. the gun gives the powder a charge, or the parts have a slight charge. Then it goes (very carefully) into an oven to melt the powder, forming the coat. :)

I'll probably have some before and after pics.

Minor update...

Until I can figure out what I'm doing with the front panel, it's on the back burner - so to speak. Its mods won't affect fitment or the other planned mods, sooo. Yep. It's staying put.

Today, I ripped out the last of the fan grills. Still have a little bit of bench work to do: deburr, radius some sharp edges, take all the rivets out, and prep for... powdercoating!

Yep, that's right, I'm gonna powdercoat the entire case, minus the front panel (I like the hair-ed black anodized finish anyways). I plan on removing all the current paint, masking a few areas that might have fit issues, and then I'll have both the outside and inside surfaces of all parts coated. I'm gonna have it done in a medium texture carbide black. It shouldn't be too expensive since I work for the place that will do it :)

More pictures to come when that's closer to happening (probably next week)!! Stay tuned...

Really? We might need to talk! You dont live that far from me ! :thumbs-up:

• 2 weeks later...

So, um, today was my last day at work (new job!).

Sadly, we didn't work fast enough and couldn't get the case done...

Haha, just kidding!! Pictures later...and even a video of it getting the powdercoat primer.

B:)

I'm curious to see the process of it being powdercoated. Should be interesting.

Case looks nice so far, maybe I missed it, but what are you doing in place of the stock fan grills?

I'm curious to see the process of it being powdercoated. Should be interesting.

Case looks nice so far, maybe I missed it, but what are you doing in place of the stock fan grills?

The stock fan grills are square punched....I resent those (cheap, not particularly aesthetic, and a hindrance to airflow). To make things more difficult for the case modder, they stick out of the case (slightly beveled) by probably by .080". Needless to say, the grills are now gone, except for the small one on the top of the case, and the one to the left side of where the power supply would be. Those just vent to the outside. For the beveled edges, I took a hydraulic press and flattened them, making the outside of the case flush.

The case's fan filters, which were previously behind the fans (doesn't make much sense, fans are difficult to clean), are now on the outside. When I start purchasing more parts, I'll include a bunch of black wire grills for the inside :)

Yeah, I took a video of some of the parts being primed. Since the case is galvaneal (galvanized cold rolled steel), when I sanded off all the paint (necessary to keep the powdercoat smooth after the baking part of the powdercoating), they needed primer. I don't like the idea of a case rusting, so, primer it is! The final (textured) powdercoat is identical in application to the primer.

I'll have the stuff up soon, I just finished all the assembly :thumbs-up:

Ahhh, interesting. Yeah, I hate those square holed fan grills though I don't think I'd think to go to the length you did to remove them. :lol: Should look great, looking forward to seeing it.