Nvidia GTX 480 Reviewed

Bosco

I'd say this is one of their better releases but I think I'll wait for the one that doesn't cook eggs and consume so much power.... I can't imagine what the dual gpu cards will require in terms of power... ouch. On a bright note its good I waited on 5870s since I see a price drop in the foreseeable future. :D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say this is one of their better releases but I think I'll wait for the one that doesn't cook eggs and consume so much power....

Common, cooking bacon and eggs on your vid card while playing BC2 first thing in the morning, life can't get better than that :D

10.2's were used for the ATI cards? The official 10.3's are on AMD's website with substantial performance increases for the 5xxx series, but I'm sure you had your reasons for using the 10.2's. Also for the people who say the FERMI cards were designed to compete with the 5xxx series, do you think it is smart then for nVidia be 6 months late the DX11 dance and only make a card that can hang with the 5870? It really comes down to this: ATI = performance, quiet, cool / nVidia = 17% better performance, loud, power hog(heat) - also the price between the two.

Ya it was a little hard for Frank to test 8 ATI cards in less then two days once the new driver came out :(

Everything will be updated here in the next week or two as he can I begin to do are new testing.

Why don't power supplies generate this sort of interest?

It looks like a great card but personally I'd like to see a drop in the performance/watt ratio, it's coming but not fast enough! ATI and Nvidia are fighting for top spot at all costs, it's understandable, but were does it end? What's needed is another GPU manufacturer or two, China maybe, to make things a little more interesting.

Cheers

Paul

$500 is much better than their prior flagship launches think $700 for the 8800GTX and $659 for the GTX 280. They have priced it at a decent price point

Definitely an improvement, but $500 is hard to justify.

Definitely an improvement, but $500 is hard to justify.

I guess that depends on the person. For people that use Cuda or love PhysX thats not a hard pill to follow it just depends on what you want out of your card.

I for one am thankfully that it was not $700+ card, it actually came in cheaper then I thought it would be go figure.

Hey Frank, did you have any power consumption numbers from other cards? It looks like it's real bad. Look here, here or here. Both Neoseeker and Legit Reviews measured its power usage to be comparable to the dual-GPU and much stronger HD5970, whereas [H]ard OCP puts it at a whole 68W higher than an HD5870 CrossfireX setup. Holy Kangaroo!!! :blink:

I'd say this is one of their better releases but I think I'll wait for the one that doesn't cook eggs and consume so much power.... I can't imagine what the dual gpu cards will require in terms of power... ouch. On a bright note its good I waited on 5870s since I see a price drop in the foreseeable future. :D

yup !, me too...so just to be on the safe side i ordered 2 from evga and 2 from the egg...bacon and eggs...mmmmmyummylalalal...

Hey Frank, did you have any power consumption numbers from other cards? It looks like it's real bad. Look here, here or here. Both Neoseeker and Legit Reviews measured its power usage to be comparable to the dual-GPU and much stronger HD5970, whereas [H]ard OCP puts it at a whole 68W higher than an HD5870 CrossfireX setup. Holy Kangaroo!!! :blink:

the last link was really good...cool vid of the gtx 480 sli

I guess that depends on the person. For people that use Cuda or love PhysX thats not a hard pill to follow it just depends on what you want out of your card.

I for one am thankfully that it was not $700+ card, it actually came in cheaper then I thought it would be go figure.

:withstupid: Back in Oct07, I spent $600 (after S&H and tax) for the EVGA 8800GTX KO.