"Desktops will be irrelevant in 3 years."

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I... agree with the Google guy!

Let me hook my laptop to a 1080p (or above) screen wirelessly and that solves the monitor issue.

Performance? Meh, in 3 years we'll have octocore laptops with plenty of graphics power and with stuff like NVIDIA's Optimus, battery life will still be good on the go.

The desktop isn't going anywhere in just three years, but computer sales show that portable computers are the way of the future... desktop sales are constantly declining compared to notebooks.

@People laughing at his claims: We'll see in a few years from now, but I'm sure he isn't far from the truth! Pretty much everyone I know has a laptop and lots of them do not have a desktop (or if they do it's just a crappy one taking up space)

Edited by Zertz

As for desktops going away no way in hell that will happen in 3 years. Gaming is in the billions of dollars there is no way that will be given up.

In order to have a laptop to as powerful as a desktop you have to spend a ton of money for something that never lasts. Companies need to make laptops better before they can even try and take the top spot. Yes laptops are selling big time, however if you look at the failure rates from the top 3 companies its not looking to promising.

HP failure rate is the highest right now at over 40% thats pretty bad. Now if they sell they sell more notebooks/laptops then desktops those numbers are not looking good.

I see some of his points are valid but I think he is blowing more smoke then needed to gain the extra attention.

I... agree with the Google guy!

Let me hook my laptop to a 1080p (or above) screen wirelessly and that solves the monitor issue.

Performance? Meh, in 3 years we'll have octocore laptops with plenty of graphics power and with stuff like NVIDIA's Optimus, battery life will still be good on the go.

The desktop isn't going anywhere in just three years, but computer sales show that portable computers are the way of the future... desktop sales are constantly declining compared to notebooks.

@People laughing at his claims: We'll see in a few years from now, but I'm sure he isn't far from the truth! Pretty much everyone I know has a laptop and lots of them do not have a desktop (or if they do it's just a crappy one taking up space)

:withstupid: all it takes is an external graphics card for when you're at home and a docking station to integrate with mouse/keyboard/screen etc and I see it as plenty possible.

I remember when my 4870 took a dump, I ran my laptop as my desktop for a while, couldn't tell a difference except for a tad slower in photoshop and I couldn't game. But for the most part it was indiscernible, wish my laptop had better battery life though :( the 9600GT really sucks power

Thats pretty stupid... When the day comes that you can Build a laptop that wll outrun any Competitive desktop Then maybe but till then I do not think so.

When the day comes that you can Build a laptop that wll outrun any Competitive desktop Then maybe but till then I do not think so.

Obviously that's not going to happen due to thermal limitations... It's like trying to squeeze a data center inside a desktop.

You know what though, we have reached a point where there's so much processing power inside even the "slowest" processors that most people don't really need the power of a desktop anyway. For high resolution gaming, overclocking, yes, but other than that... meh.

Not just people who are designing or rendering.. How about the people who are folding 24/7 i doubt a laptop could survive 24/7 folding like any good custom build desktop can..

Besides in the future gaming in HD would be the norm and we need desktops for that..

A laptop running the latest game at hd resolutions without lagging?

I would like to see that happen.. :O

Edited by Ravenica

For most people yea, all they need to do is send a text, check email, check facebook etc. I dont believe desktops are going anywhere they may not sell as many but there will always be needs for servers and desktops...