Future Ubisoft Games Will Require Constant Internet Connection

cirro

While it's true that multiplayer and the quality of games plays a role in piracy I think the biggest factor is price. A lot of people don't want to pay an outrageous $60 for a game that doesn't give enough content to fit the price tag, that's why developers like valve do well against piracy, they don't have stupid prices on their games, most of their games are fairly priced or cheap even, I think most people don't have a problem paying $20 for TF2 or Portal.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, just because a game appears on Steam, doesn't mean it's made by Valve. In fact, 90% of the time, it isn't. Valve itself probably has some of the lowest piracy rates because they have 1) a lot of multi-player games, and 2) high quality games. Two big deterrents to piracy.

I gotta agree here...Steam is the SOLE reason Valve does so well...it just works...

to the others doing DRM crap they should learn from Steam or join them...it's convenient and it works..I buy on Steam just for this reason...others I try before buy and most of them aint worth 4.99 let alone the 50.00 you are forced to pay if you want it

• 2 weeks later...

Oh the irony, most people play video games when it's cloudy and rainy but now they require an internet connection so they will be unplayable to people on satellite connections when it is cloudy and rainy.

I don't think game makers are just going to give up and accept the fact there loosing money to piracy.

I think services like Onlive gaming or cloud gaming are the answer to most game developers problems.

With cloud gaming there is no more need to worry about

Piracy because all the games are hosted and run processed at the server so there's no way for a user to go and try to go and pirate it.

No more need to worry about lost profit because of used game sales

No more hacks to games because it's all controlled all located at the server

No more hardware compatibility problems

Of course the problem is the cloud gaming company controls everything so your pretty much powerless if they decide to start charging exorbitant rates or cancel your account and get rid of the $500 dollars worth of games you bought plus the fact you have to worry about your ISP issue bandwidth caps there's really nothing you can do to stop it.

There's also the problem that cloud computing will eliminate a lot of jobs and markets in the gaming industry.

I don't like the concept of cloud computing because there's a lot of room for abuse and most company's are nowadays are very greedy and in the end you will probably end up paying more to play games with more limitations so the consumer looses in the end.

Cloud Computing is bleh, this will be circumvented and just is keeping those crackers busy that's all

"YES, got to the final boss now to.."

*bzzzt* Comcast internet drops out

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! I just spent 6 straight hours getting to this point." *sigh* "Now to play a game in offline mode on Steam" :lol:

Cloud Computing is bleh, this will be circumvented and just is keeping those crackers busy that's all

"YES, got to the final boss now to.."

*bzzzt* Comcast internet drops out

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! I just spent 6 straight hours getting to this point." *sigh* "Now to play a game in offline mode on Steam" :lol:

Well maybe know bandwidth is a problem but who knows what the situation could be in 5-10 years.

Also it would be much hard to hack a cloud game because all the hacker has access to is the terminal that only receives video and sends commands to the server. He could maybe hack the terminal but it would be very easy for the cloud computing company to detect un-authorized changes and they could just kill it with a firmware update.

I think game developers are realizing that the only way to stop piracy and hacking is to make it so the user has no access to the inner workings like the hardware or software code.

Edited by fire_storm

This issue with this is 40% of households don't have broadband in the US. Who knows how many of those that do have broadband are satellite/super slow dsl/verizon mobile customers for their internet. So lets say it's only 10% that have those, that means 50% of households their games. That seems like a potentially huge lose compared to people that will just pirate the game.

I don't think game makers are just going to give up and accept the fact there loosing money to piracy.

I think services like Onlive gaming or cloud gaming are the answer to most game developers problems.

With cloud gaming there is no more need to worry about

Piracy because all the games are hosted and run processed at the server so there's no way for a user to go and try to go and pirate it.

No more need to worry about lost profit because of used game sales

No more hacks to games because it's all controlled all located at the server

No more hardware compatibility problems

Of course the problem is the cloud gaming company controls everything so your pretty much powerless if they decide to start charging exorbitant rates or cancel your account and get rid of the $500 dollars worth of games you bought plus the fact you have to worry about your ISP issue bandwidth caps there's really nothing you can do to stop it.

There's also the problem that cloud computing will eliminate a lot of jobs and markets in the gaming industry.

I don't like the concept of cloud computing because there's a lot of room for abuse and most company's are nowadays are very greedy and in the end you will probably end up paying more to play games with more limitations so the consumer looses in the end.

I don't really see how they are making more money by trying to stop piracy, I mean first of all, spending time on DRM means they spend less time on the actual game, and the DRM itself drops sales anyway, so now they have less sales than they ever did before with the pirates, and the people that think that game hasn't been improved, and the people that refuse to put up with such DRM, that's really all I see happening here, just the game developers digging more and more holes for themselves.

I don't really understand why everyone is getting so excited about onlive either, I mean you will be paying full price for games that you won't ever actually own, it's not even on a disc or hard drive of your own, and there is no way everyone's internet connection can keep up to make onlive successful, we can't even get P2P systems to work well.

Pretty much anything by Valve has been cracked and they use a pretty robust method of keeping piracy low. Look at how quick Modern Warfare 2 was cracked so pirates could play with legit players! There is nothing a little creative coding can't crack.

Good job! A game not even made by Valve! And that is because VAC on MW2 is really horrendous. I could go on Google right now go find a VAC disabler and use any hack I wanted to. Or get my account banned and then do the same thing, I can still play.

I don't mind it since I have internet and don't have many problems with it. BTW I use wireless and I can play on cloudy/rainy days without a problem.

As long as game are available in any form of physical content they will be hacked and cracked. Heck, I remember when someone hacked into the Jagex servers, coppied ALL of the content for RuneScape and before you know it there were custom servers for that crappy game ( that stole 6.5 yrs from me ). Dang, if you look at it that way, no game is safe o_O, available physical content or not if it exists it will be hacked. It's not like the these companies aren't making any money, I'm sure they can all still afford their yachts, mansions and Lamborghini's even if piracy increases.