ATI Radeon HD 5850 Videocard from XFX Tested

Nemo

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow overclocking the 5 series ATI cards unleashes a great deal of performance.

After comparing the 5870 review to the 5850 review the 5850 looks like a much better deal, when overclocked at most resolutions it performs about the same and sometimes better than the 5870. Kinda weird imho.

Edited by slick2500

After comparing the 5870 review to the 5850 review the 5850 looks like a much better deal, when overclocked at most resolutions it performs about the same and sometimes better than the 5870. Kinda weird imho.

Yes, but the HD5870 can also be overclocked :)

I disagree with this con:
# No DirectX 11 games currently

That's not the cards fault!

+1

Edit: At what overclocked settings did you run the benchs? You say 1GHz on the core but in the screenshot it shows 840MHz...

Edited by The Smith

No compare the reviews the 5850 overclocked almost outperforms the 5870 when he had it overclocked for the reviews.

Oh yeah I see. It's because in his HD5870 review he settled for the maximum ATI Overdrive could provide, although he could reach 1Ghz also. Considering the HD5850 has only 1440 stream processors, it would lose against a 1Ghz HD5870.

Oh yeah I see. It's because in his HD5870 review he settled for the maximum ATI Overdrive could provide, although he could reach 1Ghz also. Considering the HD5850 has only 1440 stream processors, it would lose against a 1Ghz HD5870.

I keep hearing that if you 5870 too far you lose performance, whereas the 5850 doesn't have this shortcoming.

I keep hearing that if you 5870 too far you lose performance, whereas the 5850 doesn't have this shortcoming.

Yeah that's what RHK said when the 5870 launched. Has it changed? I don't see why the 5850 would not suffer from this too.

Yeah that's what RHK said when the 5870 launched. Has it changed? I don't see why the 5850 would not suffer from this too.

it could be an intentional hold back from ati so the 5870 isn't too powerful?? I know the 5770's can overclock LIKE CRAZY if their voltage is tweaked.

Same thing with an HD4850 and HD4870.

Once you overclock the HD5870, the HD5850 is hard pressed to provide any competition. :)

Never compare an overclocked card to a stock card.