Mini Skeleton Chassis From Antec Reviewed

Nemo

I'm with Andrew on this one. It seems like there'd be a VERY limited market for something like this. I would think most ITX builds would be for low-profile applications and not something this flashy. Plus, when compared to the cost of the ITX system components, that's a very hefty price. It really inflates the overall system cost.

It's a cool idea, but it just doesn't add up to me. I just can't see a whole lot of people having a need/want for it.

Yeah, they could have easily put a 150W or even a 200-250 if they wanted to.

This case is expensive as it is though, I couldn't imagine how much it would be if they were "generous" enough to include a 200w...

:withstupid: Not to mention including a PSU that doesn't really power anything is not a strong selling feature either.

Yah that really bothered me.

Overlooking that, great review as usual.

smileythumbsup.gif

Thanks

The price does suck, and it is relatively pointless to have a mini ITX system in an open case. One of the reasons for these open cases is so you can easily mess around with your hardware. Something you probably wouldn't be doing to much with a mini ITX system. Then again I can't see most users messing around with their ATX hardware a whole lot more.

Antec's reason for having this case open was for great airflow, and the case did perform very well. I'm not sure if having it open the way it was is actually a factor in its performance, or if mini ITX stuff just doesn't get hot enough to matter. I did think it looked pretty cool, and the ability to just slide out a tray to swap hardware was pretty nice.

the only reason I want a mini-itx is to stick it into something with little ventilation so that it looks cool (in my case a broken nes) and while I have a case in mind I'm sure most of the people looking for a NAS don't want a giant case with no 3.5" slots and the people who want a dvd player tv watcher deal don't want a giant thing over something like a book size or a just big enough case.

also I think the power supply is plenty, even a mini itx ion with a atom n330 only needs a 90W (scroll to bottom of link on spec page). Though I used to look at those 775 mini-itx and dream but frankly there are no decent mini-itx power supplies to power one with a decent video card.

also I think the power supply is plenty, even a mini itx ion with a atom n330 only needs a 90W (scroll to bottom of link on spec page). Though I used to look at those 775 mini-itx and dream but frankly there are no decent mini-itx power supplies to power one with a decent video card.

The ION ITX boards have an independent power source. This includes the board you linked.

This makes the PSU included with the case redundant if it is meant for those boards. The PSU included with the case had a 24Pin connector, so it was meant for a board that needs one. The fact that it couldn't accommodate a 775 board is a little ridiculous. I tested with both a Q6600 and a P4. I also unplugged the Optical drive.

The end result was that the PSU still could not power the system. IMO that = Fail.