770 UD3P or 790XT UD4P?

I am planning to buy one of these two boards for my p2 550be(0922APMW batch). I intend to overclock the processor and run it at that speed 24/7. I am not interested in features as such, only in stable 24/7 unlocked and overclocked processor. Which mobo would be better? UD4P has mosfet cooler and seems safer. In my very limited knowledge, I think even 770 UD3P vrm should be coole enough as it has got 8 phase design? Am I right? Or should I opt for ud4p for around $50 extra? I have also seen lot's of guys indicating problems with the initial bios versions of ud4p. I am planning to buy the mobo this week, with either crucial ballistix or gskill rpijaws.

Please note, I am a bit worried as I have seen my friend's biostar 790gx 128M chokes bulging due to overclock. :). So need a good, safe mobo for overclocking. I am myself not much into overclocking till now.

Edited by haraakiri

welcome to occ

i think 790x will be better in all case (oc,cf..) that if you can get it and notice that the 790xt-ud4p is a ddr3 board unlike 770-ud3p

which is a ddr2 board .....

what cpu and gpu you want to put on them.........?

:)

There is also the DDR3 version of the 770.

If you don't really need the second PCI-E x16 and the extra Gigabyte SATA2 controller, you can as well go for the 770 to save money. I have tried both personally and the 770T clocks as well as the 790XT. Also the voltage regulators stay very cool, even when overclocked, and I was using a PII X4 955 at that time.

For a budget board, I think the 770T-UD3P is pretty much the best. I'm amazed how Gigabyte can put such great motherboards together for such low prices.

Let me suggest you another board also. It's based on the 785G chipset, so you get integrated graphics and a x16 lane that can be split into x8/x8 for CrossfireX. It is the ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO.

Happy shopping. :)

NEA why do you think 790x is better than 790fx and 790 gx ?

i think the 790 fx is the best @_@,,

for now i think that 790x gives almost the same performance of 790fx

and especially when running cf because the cards of today run very well on x8 x8 , and the 790x is a little bit cheaper too

but i think if you can afford the 790fx then get it since it has x16 x16 , yes the cards of today are not affected by x8 x8 speed

but i think dx 100 will need x16 x16 to give the best performance possible ...................:)

Thanks for all the replies :)

If gigabyte 770T UD3P does remain cool with an air overclocked quard core phenom 2, then I think this would be a better option for me. It's cheap at newegg for $75.

Asus 785TD EVO looks interesting too, it doesnt seem to support crossfire at X8 x8 though. Only X16+X4. Does it overclock as well as gigabyte 770?One advantage I would have with this asus mobo is I could use IGP unitl it's clear whether dx 11 cards would be worth for their price. Is this worth $25 more than gigabyte 770?

I cannot afford 790fx as generally they cost more than $150 :(

Edited by haraakiri

Thanks for all the replies :)

If gigabyte 770T UD3P does remain cool with an air overclocked quard core phenom 2, then I think this would be a better option for me. It's cheap at newegg for $75.

Asus 785TD EVO looks interesting too, it doesnt seem to support crossfire at X8 x8 though. Only X16+X4. Does it overclock as well as gigabyte 770?One advantage I would have with this asus mobo is I could use IGP unitl it's clear whether dx 11 cards would be worth for their price. Is this worth $25 more than gigabyte 770?

I cannot afford 790fx as generally they cost more than $150 :(

Yeah you're quite right I did not notice they were running at x16/x4... It overclocks as well though.

In this case you could grab a board based on the 790GX chipset. This one will run the lanes at x8/x8 like the 790X. And honestly you can't go wrong with Gigabyte... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128398

Yeah you're quite right I did not notice they were running at x16/x4... It overclocks as well though.

In this case you could grab a board based on the 790GX chipset. This one will run the lanes at x8/x8 like the 790X. And honestly you can't go wrong with Gigabyte... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128398

As gigabyte 790gx costs approximately the same, the difference between them being 790gx has an igp and 790x better phase design.I think I should prefer better phase design for a more stable overclock. What would you recommend? And just going with 770 ud3p wouldn't be a better choice?

And I am planning to get gskill rigjaws 4gb cl7 ram. For AM3 perhaps there are better one available. Which are good for less than $100?

I plan to use p2 550 unlocked to B50 and dx 11 card(when they release in future, probably 5850 or a 4890 if 5850 is out of my budget)

As gigabyte 790gx costs approximately the same, the difference between them being 790gx has an igp and 790x better phase design.I think I should prefer better phase design for a more stable overclock. What would you recommend? And just going with 770 ud3p wouldn't be a better choice?

And I am planning to get gskill rigjaws 4gb cl7 ram. For AM3 perhaps there are better one available. Which are good for less than $100?

I plan to use p2 550 unlocked to B50 and dx 11 card(when they release in future, probably 5850 or a 4890 if 5850 is out of my budget)

If you want to have more money left for the graphics card, just grab the 770. :)

If you want to have more money left for the graphics card, just grab the 770. :)

I am planning to go with 770. I have seen its spec and it mentions We recommend that you enhance heat dissipation for the CPU VRM area if an AMD Black Edition CPU is installed and the Advanced Clock Calibration is enable

Does it mean good overflow or heatsinks for mosfets? I understand they are being on the safe side, suggesting this, but if they are suggesting heatsinks, I would better go with 790x . What do you suggest.

Thanks a lot, taking the pain to answer all my questions :)

As ati dx 11 cards are announced today, I have almost made up my mind to get 5850 for $260. That's a decent price, I think :)

I am planning to go with 770. I have seen its spec and it mentions We recommend that you enhance heat dissipation for the CPU VRM area if an AMD Black Edition CPU is installed and the Advanced Clock Calibration is enable

Does it mean good overflow or heatsinks for mosfets? I understand they are being on the safe side, suggesting this, but if they are suggesting heatsinks, I would better go with 790x . What do you suggest.

Thanks a lot, taking the pain to answer all my questions :)

As ati dx 11 cards are announced today, I have almost made up my mind to get 5850 for $260. That's a decent price, I think :)

Haha I did not know they said that. At the most you could have to get some airflow directed toward them. You'll see by yourself when you fire it up, it really depends on your actual case airflow... As for me I was running open-air.

Haha I did not know they said that. At the most you could have to get some airflow directed toward them. You'll see by yourself when you fire it up, it really depends on your actual case airflow... As for me I was running open-air.

Thanks very much. Will go with 770 UD3P. :). I have got haf 932 and hope airflow shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by haraakiri