Image on screen not full size of screen?

joeymac33

I have an ASUS HD4870 sitting on an ASUS M4A785TD-V Evo and I've noticed the following:

a) Initial boot up and Windows 7rc install - screen is smaller than LCD leaving a 1" black border.

b) After I install the LCD driver disk and ATI VGA driver software/disk the image properly fills the whole LCD

c) Installing the motherboard drivers and applications disk does not change anything from b.

d) If I update ATI drivers/software using catalyst, the screen gets smaller again and has a black border.

I know it is not the monitor because the monitor does have picture size adjustment at all, and work full screen with any laptop I plug into it.

Also, windows says that even at the reduced image size, resolution is still 1920x1080p ?!?

Montitor is a Hanns-G HH-221HPB, by the way.

Is there any explanation of this?

Right now I'm just running the boxed motherboard/VGA drivers and not updating online, so I have full picture and resolution.

When I plugged my 40" TV to my ATI 3650, I had to use overdrive mode to get it to fit perfectly and be rid of the border. If you are using DVI though, it shouldn't need any adjusting.

What's odd, is that it does it before any driver installation (understandable) and then only after I update the OEM drivers online using Catalyst.

Updating drivers to the current ATI released stuff should not hurt anything.

It's running HDMI (same as DVI, I suppose) with the ASUS supplied DVI>HDMI cable.

Also, I've noticed the sound isn't really that smooth over the HDMI compared to the regular sound Output plugged into the monitor. AOL IM sounds, for example, are butchered over the HDMI if you hear them at all. This could be a monitor or PC problem though... to early to call.

What's odd, is that it does it before any driver installation (understandable) and then only after I update the OEM drivers online using Catalyst.

Updating drivers to the current ATI released stuff should not hurt anything.

It's running HDMI (same as DVI, I suppose) with the ASUS supplied DVI>HDMI cable.

Also, I've noticed the sound isn't really that smooth over the HDMI compared to the regular sound Output plugged into the monitor. AOL IM sounds, for example, are butchered over the HDMI if you hear them at all. This could be a monitor or PC problem though... to early to call.

HDMI is the issue, I almost guarantee it. My issues were when using an HDMI cable. HDMI is a funny bugger.

Use the overdrive setting and it should be fine.