Building new rigg! wont it to be right

Nekroze

hey all i am noob to these forums but it seems this is one of the most well versed places i can go to ask about my next system build, i have built many systems before(myself not just pickedthe parts) but nothing on this level, im trying to build a gaming PC that is powerful for now and the cn be upgraded well in the future.

This is my part list so far please tell me what yall think and if anything is a no go

CASE - NZXT Tempest Case

MOTHERBOARD -XFX 780i Motherboard N780-ISH9

CPU -Intel Core2 Quad Q9650 (a bit on the expensive side)

CPU FAN -ASUS Triton 78 CPU Cooler

RAM -OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC 2x2GB OCZ2RPR10664GK (buying a second pair later)

PSU -CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1250W SLI

HDD -Western Digital Green 1TB WD10EADS

GPU -Gigabyte GTX 260+ GV-N26OC-896H (not too sure on this choice seems a good peice though)

also was intending on replacing all the fans in the tempest case(thats six all up) with newer coolmaster fans but im not sure if thats needed

just need any opinions of whether or not the parts are good themselves or not too great compatability wise, just wont this rigg to be perfect.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're not planning on SLI then go with a P45 mobo. Intel > Nvidia as far as chipsets go. For the price of a q9650 you're almost better off going i7. Or you could go AMD Phenom 2 and save money and get better performance.

The psu is a very good one...bu usless yiou're going quar or tri SLI is way way overkill.

The WD Green hdd's aren't really meant for OS drives I think. I believe they are more for servers/data.

hey all i am noob to these forums but it seems this is one of the most well versed places i can go to ask about my next system build, i have built many systems before(myself not just pickedthe parts) but nothing on this level, im trying to build a gaming PC that is powerful for now and the cn be upgraded well in the future.

This is my part list so far please tell me what yall think and if anything is a no go

CASE - NZXT Tempest Case

MOTHERBOARD -XFX 780i Motherboard N780-ISH9

CPU -Intel Core2 Quad Q9650 (a bit on the expensive side)

CPU FAN -ASUS Triton 78 CPU Cooler

RAM -OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC 2x2GB OCZ2RPR10664GK (buying a second pair later)

PSU -CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1250W SLI

HDD -Western Digital Green 1TB WD10EADS

GPU -Gigabyte GTX 260+ GV-N26OC-896H (not too sure on this choice seems a good peice though)

also was intending on replacing all the fans in the tempest case(thats six all up) with newer coolmaster fans but im not sure if thats needed

just need any opinions of whether or not the parts are good themselves or not too great compatability wise, just wont this rigg to be perfect.

would you consider an AMD system? if not definitely don't get the Q9650, I'd look into either the Q9450 or Q9550. Also you should get a P45 chipset because they are absolutely amazing. (and if so look at 790GX chipset boards and look at getting a Phenom II X4 940 or X3 720) For the gpu, the best 260 you can get now is $190 dollars up front and $170 after rebate. It's an MSI 260 that's factory overclocked and I believe it's not a 55nm (which is good). Is that 1TB going to be used as a system drive or for storage, if it's going to be a system drive then I'd get a seagate 1TB for better speed for the buck. ( I believe the green power is rather slow) and MY GOD MAN, what WERE or ARE you thinking in choosing a power supply that ridiculous? Get a 600W or at most a 700-750W PSU would be more than enough.

If you're not planning on SLI then go with a P45 mobo. Intel > Nvidia as far as chipsets go. For the price of a q9650 you're almost better off going i7. Or you could go AMD Phenom 2 and save money and get better performance.

The psu is a very good one...bu usless yiou're going quar or tri SLI is way way overkill.

The WD Green hdd's aren't really meant for OS drives I think. I believe they are more for servers/data.

kk, however i do plan on going SLI in the near futurejust dont have the cash atm, the CPU is my larest question cause its a bit far in the way of price but its still acceptable SLI is one of my future upgrades closer to the end of this year first dual then next year tri thats as far s this motherboard can go tri, the HDD i chose partly cause its green and i think thats all good and stuff but i know i want a 1 TB HDD sata so im on the look for a beter suggestion there.

kk, however i do plan on going SLI in the near futurejust dont have the cash atm, the CPU is my larest question cause its a bit far in the way of price but its still acceptable SLI is one of my future upgrades closer to the end of this year first dual then next year tri thats as far s this motherboard can go tri, the HDD i chose partly cause its green and i think thats all good and stuff but i know i want a 1 TB HDD sata so im on the look for a beter suggestion there.

I gave you one, the Seagate lol. And do you even need SLI, why not get one good card now not worry about running two cards, which will enable you to get a far better motherboard which will give you far better overclocks which will even help you achieve better frame rates in it self, as well as extend the life of the system. What resolution do you run? And while SLI has it's purposes (at uber high resolutions), please dear god don't run tri sli, it's horrible.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

bu usless yiou're going quar or tri SLI is way way overkill.

LOL this is what happens when you type a fast response and run out the door for work.

For the hdd if you want a 1TB get a WD Caviar Black, Seagate Barracuda, or a Samsung Spinpoint F1. On newegg, the Seagate is the cheapest atm. Personally I think i'd go with the Samsung F1. The performance on those are awesome and it's only 10 bucks more than the seagate.

As far as SLI, like IVIY said, you should tell us what resolution you plan on running. If it's lower than 1920x1080 I wouldn't even bother. SLI has pretty much zero benefit at lower resolutions. And that psu is still overkill for any SLI setup. That thing could power 3 gtx295's let alone just 2 gtx260's. For SLI 260's i'd go with a 850w or so psu. That will keep you in a good load range to run it as efficently as possible.

And again if you want SLI I really would stay away from the 780i. IMO that chipset blows.

ok ima redo the hardweare then no more SLI and im looking at an i7 instead give me a bit i gotta see hat my sit has atm im using pccasegear cause im australian ive never heard of newegg and so dont know how much it is and i cantpay for major shipage

oh BTW the resoluton is 1920 x 1200

now PSU and motherboard take 2 lol

i got a toss up here with the psu between -Lian Li Silent Force 850W, Thermaltake Toughpower QFan 850W, OCZ GameXStream 850W SLI

thats in price order the most expansive being the lian li downto the cheaper OCZ

and the motherbard i am having a toss up with aswell as i have now decided to go with the AMD Phenom II 940 Quad-Core CPU

ASUS M4A78T-E Motherboard and the Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P Motherboard

The asus is almost 100$ cheaper tho. i havent got the experience to make a choice based on whats better quality and such

and another that needed a change was the ram my the toss up here is

Patriot PC3-12800 3x1GB DDR3 PVT33G1600LLK, Corsair TR3X3G1600C9 3GB (3x1GB) DDR3, Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D 3GB (3x1GB) DDR3

these are all 1600mhz so i dont think they are compatable with the asus motherboard i have listed. the last Corsair i got there is a bit on the edge of my pice range but still ok i think.

and the GPU i think ima go with the EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked any views on that?

with the Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB WD1001FALS hdd

Edited by Nekroze

oh BTW the resoluton is 1920 x 1200

now PSU and motherboard take 2 lol

i got a toss up here with the psu between -Lian Li Silent Force 850W, Thermaltake Toughpower QFan 850W, OCZ GameXStream 850W SLI

thats in price order the most expansive being the lian li downto the cheaper OCZ

and the motherbard i am having a toss up with aswell as i have now decided to go with the AMD Phenom II 940 Quad-Core CPU

ASUS M4A78T-E Motherboard and the Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P Motherboard

The asus is almost 100$ cheaper tho. i havent got the experience to make a choice based on whats better quality and such

and another that needed a change was the ram my the toss up here is

Patriot PC3-12800 3x1GB DDR3 PVT33G1600LLK, Corsair TR3X3G1600C9 3GB (3x1GB) DDR3, Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D 3GB (3x1GB) DDR3

these are all 1600mhz so i dont think they are compatable with the asus motherboard i have listed. the last Corsair i got there is a bit on the edge of my pice range but still ok i think.

and the GPU i think ima go with the EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked any views on that?

with the Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB WD1001FALS hdd

600W, and don't get ddr3 ;)

and get the MSI overclocked card form newegg as it is the cheapest 260 and has a better OC

which western digital, is that a black?

Edited by IVIYTH0S

600W, and don't get ddr3 ;)

and get the MSI overclocked card form newegg as it is the cheapest 260 and has a better OC

which western digital, is that a black?

ok but if the motherboard says ddr3 and nothing about ddr2 can it still run the ddr2? :ph34r:

problem with new egg is u cannot get postage here cause im australian :unsure: so im using pccasegear.com cause its aussie

and the western digital hdd it just says caviar black, and if you dont mind the asking why not ddr3?

and with my choice of GPUs? i got a (what i beleive to be) difficult question.

between the Gainward GTX260+ 1792MB Golden Sample Edition and the EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked

the EVGA has a memory speed of 2106mhz but only 896mb of onboad ddr3 memory and a core clockspeed at 626mhz and a bandwidth of 117.93 Gb/sec

were as the Gainward has a memory speed of 999mhz but 1793 of drr3 onboard memory witha core clockspeed of 585mhz and a bandwidth of 111.9 Gb/sec

the price difference is 3 bucks more on the EVGA compaired to the Gainward but i was wondering if the gainward has more memory would it be worth getting that instead and overclocking i to get close to the EVGA

or should i go with the EVGA and if yes then shoudl i clock the EVGA and to what considering i am also getting the Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme GTX 280 witch fits onto the 260's?

Edited by Nekroze