Overclocking Newb-- Require assistance. ^_^

Hey all!

So I just built my first gaming rig and it runs spectacularly. Now I would like to move onto an Overclock.

I have read manuals on OCing and understand the process. However, there is not much literature on how to OC

with the Biostar's TA790GX AM2+ T-Series BIOS...it has a bit of a different layout than most of the OC manuals I have read.

I have an AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8 GHz BE and am looking OC to 4Ghz or a bit under that...(and yes, I have successfully unlocked the 4th Core and ran 9 hours of Prime95 without a fail). :thumbs-up:

So if anyone is familiar with these two items (T-series Bios and Tri-Core), I would absolutely love some input or even a step by step for this first time OC.

Thanks!

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8 GHz BE

Biostar TA790GX AM2+ T-Series

G.Skill 4 GB DDR2 1066

Xigmatek HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

VisionTek Ati Radeon hd 4870 512mb

Seagate Barracuda 600GB HDD

NZXT Apollo Case

Post Script

(I will be posting computer specs in my signature tomorrow...must finish an essay first.)

Edited by Scarecrow

4.0 Ghz will be difficult on air.

the Phenom II's like cold better than voltage when it comes to OCing, and for your max OC's you will need both. Also HT-link clock does not seem to hold back any OC's, so 1800MHz (stock) should be fine. Bump your nb to the highest volts it will go without changing color. Set your ram to 2.2v. Set the multiplyer to 15 and set the FSB to 200. You should get you 3.0Ghz on stock volts. Now just keep upping the FSB till you get unstable, then just apply more voltage. Safe volts for phenom IIs are 1.5v - 1.6. Try to keep load temps under 65*c.

Sweet thanks.

Ya I assumed 4GHz was a bit high, but I thought it might fair well because the T-series has an Auto-OC and, after trying one, the temp stayed around 40 Celsius.

Ill try this clock and see what I get. = D

btw...just checked: HT-Link ---max--- is 1600MHz....did you mean 800 MHz?

Edited by Scarecrow

So here is my dilemma with the BIOS...its kinda complicated. Lol. So I wanna make sure before I start entering numbers...

There is no option for the typical OC here. Hah. I am assuming my CPU FID/VID Control is the multiplier control. When I enter it, it gives me

Custom P-STates

Core FID [x14.0 2800MHz]

Core DID [Divided by 1]

Core VID [1.3250 V]

NB FID [1600 MHz]

For my general OC BIOS page, these are my choices:

===========Manual OverClock System=================

CPU/HT Reference Clock (MHz) [200]

CPU Configuration [Configuration 1-7]

ATIG ReferenceClock (MHz) [100]

Spread Spectrum [Disabled]

-->CPU FID/VID Control

-->Voltage Configuration

-->DRAM Timing Configuration

-->Hyper Transport Configuration

-->Memory Configuration

-->EC Configuration

GFX Engine Override [Disabled]

Integated Memory Test [Disabled]

Edited by Scarecrow

whoa whoa easy there, you dont want to be setting voltages super high.

id keep nb at stock and go from there, and definitely don't just pump up mem voltage without looking at what it's rated at and how well it performs under stock volts.

bios looks pretty straightforward.. read some guides on here, even read the core 2 duo guide while its not completely relevant its very much the same with all chips.. so yeah ebfore you start playing around do some research, you dont want to fry anything =D

= P I'm glad you let me know that those v's are a bit high. Lol I wouldn't have known the diff...

Ya I haven't entered any numbers yet because I would rather fully understand my chipset's BIOS before I start tampering with it. The only problem is that there is not much in the way definition for certain types of labels (such as ATIG Reference Clock).

And I have read the guides here...which actually influenced me to OC in the first place. The only reason why I am having a bit of trouble is because of my specific BIOS.

Nice combo....

if you search Phenom 720 X3 CPU unlock you can find info on how to unlock the 4th core of the CPU on that board...

if you have the right bios it will unlock and become a quad core...:)

Nice combo....

if you search Phenom 720 X3 CPU unlock you can find info on how to unlock the 4th core of the CPU on that board...

if you have the right bios it will unlock and become a quad core...:)

Already did...

4th Core unlocked, 8-9 hrs. Prime95, no problems.

= D

that's like the coolest feature ever, though I hear most dont remain stable after doing so but kudos to you. I almost want a 720 just to try it

Iviythos, it was your suggestion that prompted me to go for the Tri-core instead of a Duo or i7. And I totally hit the jackpot. (And that CPU choice saved me $100)

Ya I'm sure that the 4th core is not totally up to par with the typical X4...but hey, I have the capability...whether limited or not, and it works. = P

Hah thanks for making my build mate.

I have the same motherboard and 720. Haven't got around to putting it together yet.. waiting on case and hard drive.

I've been doing some reading though and from what I have read just bump up your multi a little at a time(phenoms dont really like changes to the fsb) then when it hits a point when its no longer stable, slowly bump up vcore.

hope mine has the unlockable 4th core feature.. and is stable. Also I heard the unlocked 4th core savierly limits overclocking.

Edited by Water_Hazard

Ya I was planning on keeping the clock primarily for 3 cores, not 4. But perhaps GTA IV will require the 4...we shall see.

So i toyed around with it a bit and the only way I could actually get a change in GHz was through raising the mult.

15 = 3000 MHz, etc. Changing the bus speed appeared to do nothing...

P.s.

-The voltage you see here was a mistake. Lol I meant to type 1.3, but typed 1.5. So I will not be keeping the voltage at that height.

sadr.jpg

Edited by Scarecrow