X58 Platinum Motherboard From MSI Tested

Nemo

Really, this board doesn't do SLI? I got this board in the OCC holiday contest, and even though it's no longer in my possession, I distinctly remember it coming with an SLI bridge. 0_o I guess they removed that feature...

I just updated the conclusion it does in fact work with SLI if you use the Platinum SLI latest Bios.

I will be checking this later but I have spoken to two other reviewers on two different sites that it does it fact work :)

i got the p45 Platinum and whole Platinum line products provide realy decent performance for the $ good overclockers but not the best and maybe MSI improved with there X58 product RAM overclocking bcz on my P45 Platinum its realy the bad side it just doesn't overclock over 850 mhz compared to a lot cheaper P35-DS3L same RAM could run 1000+ mhz np

I know mine didn't include a SLI bridge, but it's very possible the BIOS can be flashed to the SLI version, it's the exact same board after all. Enabling SLI on X58 is just a matter of turning a "0" into a "1"... provided you hand out a couple bucks to nVidia of course ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a MSI X58 Platinum. It came with AMI BIOS V1.1 which, according to MSI, is the non-SLI version. They say the MBs that come with AMI BIOS V3.1 are the SLI versions.

I downloaded AMI BIOS v3.2B2 from the AMI site. I flashed my MSI X58 Platinum board without problems. After a reboot, CPU-Z identified my motherboard as "MSI X58 PLATINUM SLI(MS-7522)" instead of the original "MSI X58 PLATINUM(MS-7522)". (I might have the SLI in the wrong place but it definitely said SLI.)

NVidia Control Panel did not identify any SLI options but I guess I would need two GPUs installed to see those options. I only have one 9800 GT. My PC operated normally. I emailed MSI Tech Support to see if they supported this operation; they said "For hardware safety,we don't recommend you to do that.Please use your original BIOS."

I flashed back to AMI BIOS V1.3B4 (which is the latest beta that they have for V1.x) as I did not see a reason to remain on V3.2B2 at this time.

Would be interested to see if SLI does work on this motherboard or not just by flashing to AMI BIOS V3.x.

Thanks

CM Storm Sniper | Intel i7-920 2.66 | MSI X58 Platinum | EVGA NVidia 9800 GT 512MB | Corsair DDR3 6GB 1600MHz | Samsung 20X DVDRW | HD SATA 500GB+250GB+1TB | Vista Ultimate x64 | ThermalTake ToughPower 750W

Edited by brian70

If you mean me then gimme a day or so and I can verify it, I have the board and the cards to test out.

That would be good. Once you're done, I'd be interested to know what cards you used to test it out and whether you used a SLI connector or not. There seems to be a fair amount of speculation as to what cards needs SLI connectors (as the SLI is supported by the motherboard).