Guide To Smp Folding With Linux In Vmware

CheeseMan42

Server v2.x is somewhat different to Workstation... the UI is via any internet browser and appears to be Java-based.

The shortcut to the server URL (local) is one of the icons in the VMWare folder on the start menu.

Once you are logged into the web UI, it's fairly easy to find the equivalent screens to set up a VM.

Each VM launches in a separate window, rather than tabbed in an app window as Workstation and Server v1.x do.

Also, Workstation v7.x supports 4 cores per CPU (iirc), so that's a way to get 4-way SMP in a single VM of Ubuntu. It maintains the tabbed app window of Server v1.x and previous versions of Workstation which is, admittedly, a lot easier to initialise VMs and otherwise manage them, if you are totally new to VMWare products.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Server v2.x is somewhat different to Workstation... the UI is via any internet browser and appears to be Java-based.

The shortcut to the server URL (local) is one of the icons in the VMWare folder on the start menu.

Once you are logged into the web UI, it's fairly easy to find the equivalent screens to set up a VM.

Each VM launches in a separate window, rather than tabbed in an app window as Workstation and Server v1.x do.

Also, Workstation v7.x supports 4 cores per CPU (iirc), so that's a way to get 4-way SMP in a single VM of Ubuntu. It maintains the tabbed app window of Server v1.x and previous versions of Workstation which is, admittedly, a lot easier to initialise VMs and otherwise manage them, if you are totally new to VMWare products.

well this may not be the recommended method but i think i finally have something going here....my first virtualbox ubuntu 9.10 64bit smp2..tah dah...!!...and oh yea the usual 5 windows consoles. my cpu is at 90+% capacity...temps mid 60s low to mid 70s...i guess i'll see how long i can keep this up...

I don't think project 4461 is SMP, what core does it use?

6.29.... when i went to the folding site download page it said this or 6.02 were recommended downloads by browser configuration.

it crashed over night, ive not figured out how to set it up correctly, in fact it died shortly after the picture post i made...3% is all i have credit for

i don't get how to edit the console to keep the logfile continuously updated and insure proper points and credit for the work done

this is turning into a lot of work...

i think i'm just gonna unload all this stuff and keep the windows consoles going for awhile longer...

6.29.... when i went to the folding site download page it said this or 6.02 were recommended downloads by browser configuration.

it crashed over night, ive not figured out how to set it up correctly, in fact it died shortly after the picture post i made...3% is all i have credit for

i don't get how to edit the console to keep the logfile continuously updated and insure proper points and credit for the work done

this is turning into a lot of work...

i think i'm just gonna unload all this stuff and keep the windows consoles going for awhile longer...

You can probably just use the Windows SMP client now. From what I've heard it is close to even with using Linux as far as PPD. If you need any help with that let me know. It should be a lot easier, and I believe Stanford even has directions for it.

You can probably just use the Windows SMP client now. From what I've heard it is close to even with using Linux as far as PPD. If you need any help with that let me know. It should be a lot easier, and I believe Stanford even has directions for it.

thanx cheeseman42, you.ve been really patient with this. fact is i have very little experience with linux/ubuntu and minimal understanding of how to navigate, create and utilize it's features...on the outside it looks pretty straight forward but under the hood the differences from windows evade me...i currently have 16 windows consoles spread out between 3 machines and right now that seems like enough...i mostly wanted the "linux/virtual machine" experience from this endeavor, and i got some of that so for now i'm good. i appreciate your help !!

thanx cheeseman42, you.ve been really patient with this. fact is i have very little experience with linux/ubuntu and minimal understanding of how to navigate, create and utilize it's features...on the outside it looks pretty straight forward but under the hood the differences from windows evade me...i currently have 16 windows consoles spread out between 3 machines and right now that seems like enough...i mostly wanted the "linux/virtual machine" experience from this endeavor, and i got some of that so for now i'm good. i appreciate your help !!

If you ever have any questions just let me know. I was simply referring to the Windows SMP being a better use of your CPU than the multiple single core clients.

If you ever have any questions just let me know. I was simply referring to the Windows SMP being a better use of your CPU than the multiple single core clients.

gotcha...done...waiting for files...

• 3 years later...

Will the performance of F@H be similar/identical on CentOS? I'm just much more familiar with CentOS and if the ppd is basically the same I would rather avoid having to use ubuntu, does anyone know?

I never tried it on CentOS but I don't see why it would be any different. Instructions on how to get everything up and running should be the same. I chose Ubuntu because I was most familiar with it.