D-link 2-bay Nas Appliance Evaluated

Nemo

• 3 weeks later...
OCC put the D-Link DNS-3232-Bay Network Storage Enclosure through its paces. Check it out - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/dlink_dns323/

Good review. Pretty comprehensive.

Just a thing to note, the latest firmware is 1.06 which does allow for up to 1.5TB hard drives in the DNS-323.

Latest

What's new?

DNS-323 Firmware 1.06 Release Notes

===========================================================

Feature Additions:

1. Supports 1.5 TB Hard Drives

2. USB port supports UPS monitoring

3. Add option to Manually or Automatically Rebuild Raid

4. UPnP AV supports Microsoft XBoX 360, Sony PlayStation 3

5. Support FTP over SSL/TLS

6. Add Unicode support to FTP Server

7. Email Alerts supports Gmail

Function Changes:

1. Turn off Fan at low system temperature

2. Disable UPnP AV Server and iTunes Server by default.

3. Remove static DNS from the DDNS server provider list

4. Remove the DDNS Timeout setting from GUI, and change the Status design. fixed timeout timer as 576 hours

5. Remove the Auto Refresh Timer option for UPnP AV and iTunes Server, instantly Auto Refresh by default.

6. More user friendly Time Settings GUI design

Bug fixes:

1. Fix BT downloaded files sometimes are unable to be deleted

2. UPnP AV support large file (over 4GB)

3. Fix 1st HDD unable to sleep

4. Fix HDD cannot hibernate if UPnP AV or iTunes Server is enabled

5. Time stamp of files are incorrect when DST is enabled

Edited by dr4gon

It's good to know the 1.06 firmware has been released. I know the DNS-323 user community was eagerly waiting for the 1.5TB hard drive support. It would be good to know if the DDNS fixes eliminate the problem I saw with too frequent updates which caused the Dynalias.org account to get suspended.

• 2 months later...

Just a thing to note, the latest firmware is 1.06 which does allow for up to 1.5TB hard drives in the DNS-323.

Latest

What's new?

What bay is drive bay number 1? I have found about 50 articles written on different websites, none of them say which bay is which. I would think that would be a big point to make for people needing to replace a drive.

This article is the best written one I have found but it still lacks (That I have seen) which bay is which.

Thank you,

Kevin

• 1 year later...

Nemo,

Sorry to drag you back to this: I've real issues with the on/off button on the front facia of my 323. It doesn't click through to the on/off switch on the unit. Every time I want to use it I have to remove the front panel - less than useful. The on ly thing I can see on the rear of this removable front panel is a plastic doofer with two solid transparent tubes that duct the light from the HD LED indicators to the HD symbols on the front. I think I'm missing some sort of mechanical connect. D-Link have been about as much use as a chocolate teapot on this one, hence this plaintive newbie post.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

KG

Latest

What's new?

If that list of bugfixes and added features was for real, the original product can hardly be fit for use. I'd hate to see that list for the last (or next release, assuming there is one... LOL!) Seriously, I wouldn't trust my data to something like this, I've had so much trouble with low grade crap from D-Link (even though I've never bought a product from them- other people bring 'it' to me), I don't think ever will buy one of their products. I know that makes me biased, but when you take a look at the software and compare the way its written there is no hiding it. The interfaces are barely an indication. No offence to the D-Link fans, IMHO their software cripples the products. Better to use FreeNAS or one of the other real serverwares and find some good old hardware (or virtualware) to run your NAS on, and do what you like without waitng for D-Link to fix software for a product that has gone NLA.... fileservers and particularly RAID are things one has to do properly- they require real filesystems, dead-reliable hardware and tools!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I know this topic began 1 year ago, but maybe you can help me. I bought a DNS-323 last week and due to my probably damaged brain I forgot it in a hotel room. Nobody could find it later. I don't know why somebody would like to have a power supply, but, anyway. I could not get so far an answer from D-Link for my requests to a spare adapter, so I decided I will adapt one. What I don't know is the pin configuration for the power supply. Then I ask you for some help on this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Carlos Cesar

Hi, I know this topic began 1 year ago, but maybe you can help me. I bought a DNS-323 last week and due to my probably damaged brain I forgot it in a hotel room. Nobody could find it later. I don't know why somebody would like to have a power supply, but, anyway. I could not get so far an answer from D-Link for my requests to a spare adapter, so I decided I will adapt one. What I don't know is the pin configuration for the power supply. Then I ask you for some help on this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Carlos Cesar

Fortunately I have this unit still laying here so I might be able to help you. The AC adapter is a Jentec Technology Co, LTD. model JTA0512 with a DC output of +5V/3A, +12V/3A. The connector is a 4-pin mini DIN male and it looks like you can buy the adapter here: http://www.pchub.com/uph/model/0--11630-1/Jentec-Technology-parts.html

There's a pinout diagram on that site:

post-10039-12782097428302_thumb.jpg

Nemo,

Sorry to drag you back to this: I've real issues with the on/off button on the front facia of my 323. It doesn't click through to the on/off switch on the unit. Every time I want to use it I have to remove the front panel - less than useful. The on ly thing I can see on the rear of this removable front panel is a plastic doofer with two solid transparent tubes that duct the light from the HD LED indicators to the HD symbols on the front. I think I'm missing some sort of mechanical connect. D-Link have been about as much use as a chocolate teapot on this one, hence this plaintive newbie post.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

KG

KG - sorry for the late response - I missed your post. If you look at the second-to-last picture on page two of the reviews, you will see the reverse side of the front cover plate. Behind the on/off button there is a hard plastic pyramid that has a small hole at its apex that mates to the actual switch. What is not visible in that image is the flexible frame that assembly sits in which acts as a spring, returning the button to its original position when released. I don't know it that helps you or not. If you need any additional information, please let me know.