New System, How Often?

flareback

new system, how often?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you do a complete system overhaul or build/buy a new system.

• less than 6 months
    • 6 months - 1 year
    • 1 -1.5 years
    • 1.5 - 2 years
    • 2 - 3 years
    • 3 - 4 years
    • 4 - 5 years
    • > 5 years

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted in the 5+ years category.

I currently have 3 computers (all purchased new):

Nov 1997 - PI 166mhz came with Win95, went to Win98, now back at Win95

This computer is still stock.

**This one is just sitting around at the moment**

Feb 2000 - Athlon 600mhz came with Win98, now with WinXP Pro

Purchased a Microsoft Natural Intellitype Pro keyboard & Microsoft Optical mouse before even receiving the computer

Added two Seagate drives (80GB & 120GB) as secondary storage

Went from an Nvidia 256 32MB video card to an ATI 128MB (old card started to go bad after about 4-5 years)

Added an equalizer

Upgraded from 128MB of RAM to 512MB

Took out the CD-ROM and just left the CD burner (CD-ROM started to go bad at about 4-5 years)

**This one is still in use daily**

July 2007 - Athlon 64 X2 2.1ghz came with Win Vista Home Premium

Added 2 1GB sticks of RAM

Added an ATI 512MB video card

**This one is in use daily**

**Is going to be retired early as a file server......should have built a computer instead of buying this one**

Dec 2008 - The Custom Build (Project Big Bertha - see some specs below)

In between all these, after 2001, I have purchased a few used computers here and there off people for cheap, reinstalled Windows or did minor upgrades then given them to family or friends.

After years of talking about it, years researching it, and years of helping friends build computers/do it for them......I am finally biulding MY first computer.

Specs:

Antec Twelve Hundred case

DFI BI P45 mobo

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 processor

4GBs of Mushkin Redline RAM

Arctic Freezer 7 heatsink/fan

LG DVD burner w/Lightscribe

WD 1TB harddrive

Haven't decided on the Video Card yet and I forgot what brand the Power Supply is (I know it's a 750W).

Putting Windows XP 64 on it

basically every year and a half i start getting a bug to start overhauling my system. It usually starts with me just looking at upgrading one or two parts and ends up with me going overboard. Unfortunately last time i rebuilt my system I went with an AMD 939 after the AM2 already came out. I blew way to much money on an obsolete chip and I'm stuck with standard ddr and a top of the line(2 years ago) 939 processor/mobo. Next build will be with either the am3 or 1337 because I'm dead set on not going the same way again.

Two to Three years for a complete New Computer System for me. But I do usually do some upgrades during those years until I can they can no longer help, except to do a Full New Build.

My last new computer was in June of 2006 and that was a Quad Sli, FX60 system. My new Build is will be probally a Core i7 build in the next month or so hopefully. :thumbs-up: