Home Theater Pc From Asus Tetsed

Nemo

Folks, we just posted the latest review and this time we're looking at the ASUS P2-M3A3200 HTPC. This is a full-fledged PC, not just a chassis for you to build your own HTPC. Check it out - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_m3a_htpc/

Your extras test on page 20 is flawed :O. You're not using hardware acceleration! The CPU usage when playing a 1080p movie should be <10%. 30-40% is far too high... I own this model and I experience some occasional stuttering if the movie is playing back without hardware acceleration and this much CPU usage. (I too see roughly 30% utilization if hardware decoding isn't enabled with a PHENOM X3 8750 2.4G...it rarely breaks 5% if hardware decoding is enabled)

The problem is that you're using VLC, which does not support DXVA hardware acceleration. You'd need to use a different player, such as Media Player Classic-HC or Cyberlink PowerDVD, which supports DXVA in order to see the benefits of the 780G's hardware decoding.

Try that test again using the Cyberlink codec with hardware acceleration enabled and show these folks what the HD3200 can REALLY do ;). BTW, your problem of waiting a few seconds after seeking in a movie will go away too!

• 1 month later...

There is a lot of confusion out there on the Web about the PCIe riser card, It seems that ASUS has soldered a x1 connector where the x16 connector would go that would be needed to add the "optional" video card to enable hybrid crossfire technology. Unfortunately, ASUS does not provide any information on how to purchase this system with or without the video card but with the x16 capable riser. This has frustrated many purchasers according to what people have posted on other Web sites. Perhaps you folks can find out from ASUS what is going on, how to upgrade with a substitute riser, or how to find a vendor for the complete system with the PCIe video card. Maybe you can also provide the ASUS part number for the riser card in the unit you tested.

There is a lot of confusion out there on the Web about the PCIe riser card, It seems that ASUS has soldered a x1 connector where the x16 connector would go that would be needed to add the "optional" video card to enable hybrid crossfire technology. Unfortunately, ASUS does not provide any information on how to purchase this system with or without the video card but with the x16 capable riser. This has frustrated many purchasers according to what people have posted on other Web sites. Perhaps you folks can find out from ASUS what is going on, how to upgrade with a substitute riser, or how to find a vendor for the complete system with the PCIe video card. Maybe you can also provide the ASUS part number for the riser card in the unit you tested.

I'll check this out this week