Hd 4870x2 From Sapphire Reviewed

razor

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the price, it seems like another GTX280 to me... The Crysis bench was disappointing too. The CoD4 was nice. I'm kinda amazed the GX2 kept up with it in most tests.

Hopefully better drivers will emerge as Bosco says. So, it's the single most powerful card now? Or what? Kudos to ATI. They've finally done it.

Edited by Jhester

Ya Crossfire does not scale well in Crysis they really need to fix that its pretty annoying not to see alot of benefit in the game. Hopefully another patch might fix that for Crysis but there maybe nothing they can do about it I dunno. <_>

Ya Crossfire does not scale well in Crysis they really need to fix that its pretty annoying not to see alot of benefit in the game. Hopefully another patch might fix that for Crysis but there maybe nothing they can do about it I dunno. <_<

Like the review says, it doesn't scale well at lower resolutions either...in some cases losing to much less costly cards.

Basically, I'd say, if you had a huge monitor it's probably your best option and if you have a smaller 22" or lower, then go with something cheaper.

It's sad because it wouldn't be so bad if it didn't actually LOSE the performance ratio at lower res. Not exactly the revolution I was looking for from ATI, but it is still an amazing card.

Edited by Jhester

@Puck

you really defended these results? what the heck $500-550 ? your better off with crossfire 4850's

actually for that price cant yout get 3 4850s? lol

im REALLY dissapointed. i expected alot higher scores on.. everything.

im going to re-read it because im just shocked.

:edit:

@puck

"qoute"

Also, the HD 4870X2 uses two 256-bit memory interfaces instead of just one, since each core has its own memory. The memory for the Sapphire HD 4870X2 is made by Hynix, uses modules listed as H5GQ1H24MJR TOC, and are rated for 4.0GB/sec.

i thought they had shared memory. and not a xfire bridge?

@Puck

you really defended these results? what the heck $500-550 ? your better off with crossfire 4850's

actually for that price cant yout get 3 4850s? lol

im REALLY dissapointed. i expected alot higher scores on.. everything.

im going to re-read it because im just shocked.

:edit:

@puck

"qoute"

Also, the HD 4870X2 uses two 256-bit memory interfaces instead of just one, since each core has its own memory. The memory for the Sapphire HD 4870X2 is made by Hynix, uses modules listed as H5GQ1H24MJR TOC, and are rated for 4.0GB/sec.

i thought they had shared memory. and not a xfire bridge?

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed. It's still early... but I'm still disappointed.

Edit: On a side note -

Thanks a lot for the news Razor and it was a amazing review Ccokeman. I really appreciate the time you guys put into this.

Edited by Jhester

Cranking antialiasing and the resolution seems to wake it up like crazy. I'll own one soon. :D

Cirro - three 4850s scale miserably in most tests, sometimes leading to a crashing or unplayably slow game. The 4850X2 is due to release at $399, the 4870X2 is still cheaper than two 1 GB 4870s (does anyone even make those yet?).

man... the ATI driver team must just get drunk and party all the way up til the cards launch, and then decide to make drivers that work properly :lol:

every single time lol...

looks like the card has a lot of potential... maybe it can tame Crysis in DX10, Very High @ 1920x1200 :)

looks like the card has a lot of potential... maybe it can tame Crysis in DX10, Very High @ 1920x1200 :)

From the looks of other benches around the web...it can. It scales damn near 100% versus a single card with antialiasing on!