Wrt310n Router Mod

airman

update: i ordered a fan grill for it. it's just a plain old, chrome fan grille. i rethought it and thought it'd be cool to make it look a little more "stock" looking. that and some arctic silver alumina to use for the internal heatsinks. i hope to pimp this thing out as much as i can :)

by the way, does anyone know if it's possible to run 2 seperate wireless networks from one router using dd-wrt? like one public and one private...i think that'd be cool too

You might want to check out this page:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Separate_WLANs

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah that seems easy rookie. i'll give that a shot.

folks - i've ordered two rp-sma pigtails and 2 10dBi antennas. gonna mod the two antennas on it once they get here :)

i may run out and see if i can get a pot and maybe an LED or two from radioshack today or tomorrow as well to keep my busy :P

alright, well i've added some new pieces to the router - the RP-SMA pigtails I ordered came in today so i went ahead and drilled them into the back of the router. luckily, it has two perfect places in symmetric locations on the back for the connectors.

the antennas are MIA for now, I should be receiving them soon too.

DSC04191.jpg

inside view, the orange heatsink is ugly i know - but i had to chop some of it down for it to fit underneath the fan. there is very little clearance in there as it is :)

DSC04192.jpg

inside view of the connectors themselves

DSC04195.jpg

outside view

DSC04198.jpg

i will cut the connectors off of each pigtail and solder them onto two of the three points shown here, rendering two of the internal antennas unusable.

Edited by airman

Seems like this is turning into a sweet little project...

haha yep - i'll be adding on as much as i can to this guy. i like picking a small thing and modding it to the max :)

What kind of antennas are you going for - directional?

they're gonna just be omni 10dBi antennas. as far as the LCD screen - that's probably a little too far for this one...i won't have much room to put one on there anyways. i'll check that out for sure though :) Hackaday is a great site...

Edited by airman

• 5 months later...

I did a similar set of mods to my WRT310N but I used a set of fans from an old Dell laptop to vent the heat from the sides through the existing ports keeping the stock look of the case. Also used the 10DBi omnis on the rear with the added SMA-RP bulkhead pigtails. Tip: 6" pigtail on left side of board but the right side needed to be a 12" tail...... Also added some blue LEDs to the inside at the vents to give it a nice back glow at night. (I wall mounted it) At first had it wired to the wireless activity but the blinking was driving me nuts so now they are just on steady. Wired to the exisiting 3.5v copper pads on the board. One thing I wanted was Power Over Ethernet however on this unit, different from the older WRT54Gs, I couldn't just run the positive and negative wires from the WAN connector to the power connector. This unit hijacks the circuit, I suppose because you can plug the WAN cable into any of the ports. Anyhow, I had to desolder and remove the WAN jack and cut the traces in order to isolate them then resolder the jack and do the PoE mod. Works very well and no power cable in the way. Used a PoE kit I had from a Ubiquity Panel that I wasn't using. This thing has good range now. Nice!

Edited by eatmoresoap

• 4 months later...
I am a little aprehensive about soldering on the board. Could I just buy a rp-sma connector and solder the existing wire to it? Or use wire connectors to splice to it?

i haven't seen anyone making away that easy. I'm not sure if those sma connectors on the board are active. I got the idea from a few others, and they "replaced" the antennas by desoldering them and resoldering the new connectors. You could try it and see if it makes a difference though, more power to ya.

i didn't take away all 3 antennas because there was only room for 2 on the back :P