Can a game be installed on more than one machine?

uneedav8

This is where copyright and intellectual property rights get downright sticky.

I do agree that if a game is LAN based, you should not need 2 copies to play with a friend or spouse.

BTW history tells us that dropping the price actually increases sales and revenue.

For those around during the early days of VHS Tapes, pricing was $100 or more per movie. At that level pirating was rampant,

the studios got smart dropped the price, and sold way more.

Edited by Mirkin

lol, most EULA's will say one computer but that doesn't stop you from installing it on another. You just can't register the game. I have Knights of the Old Republic installed on both my husband and my computer and it hasn't stopped the game from working. It will be the same for all others.

The exception is online games. Those games are tied to a particular account and the companies don't like it when you try to pass around accounts like that.

both technodan and radodrill are correct (depends on the company/game/etc).

my personal view is that I bought the xxxxing game (or dvd or audio cd) and if I want to play it with my wife over the LAN, I'm not going to spend yet another $50 for another copy, nor am I going to use the original disc(s) over and over and over. I bought it, it belongs to me, EULA be damned. (we've never seen a truly serious EULA rights battle in a court because most people flex or most companies flex instead of trying to set a precedent). I don't share it, I don't put it up for download, I enjoy it with my spouse or a friend that comes over.

If game companies want to restrict that in their customers, then the industry will die off pretty quick...because games are meant to be a fun escape, which is why people buy them.

:rolleyes: yes , and i think you are so right ,a nd i agree with you , and if the game company will do some restrict on the customer , and i think there will be many people do not agree with that , and you know the game is a good way to give away our feelings ,

Threads like this make me love Stardock even more. They tell you to install the games you buy on multiple computers so your friends can play with you, they just ask you to buy it if you really like it. :P

Guest ajmatson

Others like FarCry 2 limit the number of PC and the amount of time the game can be activated (unless you use revocation tool).

Threads like this make me love Stardock even more. They tell you to install the games you buy on multiple computers so your friends can play with you, they just ask you to buy it if you really like it. :P

This is something I agree with, but the big players will never try :(.