Power supplies and wattage. What does it mean?

KMAK263

Based on what we have seen in the lab, our HX520 is plenty of power for an 8800GTX. Are you actually seeing some specific issues?

No, I don't even have an 8800 GTX yet. I just hope to in a few months. I just keep seeing people powering single card setups with 700 watt PSUs telling me that 520 would really be pushing my luck. During my forum trolling (not on DFI street) people were mentioning low framerates and other people were suggesting that that person's PSU was too weak.

But it's nice to hear that tests have been done. I guess I'll stick with my 520 watter!

I agree with yer dad. Did he too by chance on ONE occasion buy an Ultra PSU?

No, he's not really into computers like I am. But when it comes to woodworking tools, he's made a couple of "economical" purchases and regretted every one of them. Then it ends up costing more. :sweat:

One thing my dad always taught me was that if you buy cheap you will regret it later on. If you spend a little more and buy the best you can get, you'll never regret it. :nod:

Close but no sigar yet....for me anyway's

You need to have knowledge about what you actually do with your system.

Are you a multitasker?

Do you use heavy programs to do things?

Is your desktop done accordingly the bling bling rage?

And so on...and so on...

I dont do much,

I chat, with different proggies, play 1 game, wow

I have a email account and do browse the net

Jank my dvd's i wanna watch in my comp and use my vidcard to display it on my telly, same link is availeble for sound.

Thats about it basecly

Do i need the best vidcard outthere? nope.

Do i need the fasted, watercooled, awesome looking machine there is? nope

Do i need more ram? would be nice :)

Yes your dad was right, but in my view you need to know what you actually need in your system.

I am however hearing peeps going nuts about their powersupply too...note im talking general, no idea wich one or how big theirs is, its like that particulair part is getting more attention lately from me and for a like 1 year ago i was thinking i needed more ram....

Probebly you also maby need to write down just once what is in your computer and how much your asking from your powersupply....I know im curious about mine ;)

Its inpossible for me to do since i have no idea what im saying but it sounds good right?

I've tried the calculator thingies eg. Antec site. If I would buy the little guy it says I need, I guaranty it would not work. Maybe it is because the smaller PSU's lack quality or something. It is a mystery to me.

Go big or go home, that's my new PSU motto:)