Power led flashing

I have bought 2 days ago a dfi lp ut nf4 ultra-d mainboard and the only thing that bothers me is that the power led is flashing several times and then it stays on and the system starts up.I have plugged in the hdd connector.Could this be the cause?

I have a chieftec chassis with 450W , amd athlon 64 3200+(venice E6 rev.) , a asus 7300gt top , 2x512MB Corsair Value Select , 2 hdd (80gb each) and a asus dvd-rw 1608p2.

Welcome to DFI-Street

Make a signature!

Did you follow the NF4 LanParty - initial build guild w/pictures? linkage. If not check it out.

Read these threads on PSU’s; Recommended Power Supplies, Recommended PSU / RAM Solved My Problem! and Minimum requirements

May I also suggest light reading the following link. Even if you’re not planning to overclocking. The Definitive DFI AMD Overclocking Guide. Then re-read it you will be surprised how much more info you’ll pick up. It may seem overwhelming at first but it’s not that bad. Take your time, be patient and asking questions. Keep reading the posts and have fun.

Is it required to plug the floppy connector too if i only use 1 video card?I read that even the hdd connector isn't required if i don't use two video cards.This problem appears only when i plug the pc into the ac outlet for the first time(i do not keep it plugged),it disappears only if i keep it plugged into the ac outlet.If i do so the system only turns off the power led when i reboot(for two seconds).

“Warring” Make a Signature before you get a vacation.

Your PSU is NOT recommended as is causing you issues now and will most likely cause more issues in the future. Get a recommended one

Yes follow the build guide

Required Power Connectors For; NF4 LanParty D/SLI Non-Expert Motherboards

All four power connectors should be plugged into the motherboard. These are;

24-pin main power connector

4-pin 12v secondary connector or EPS

4-pin 5v/12v molex connection or HDD-type

4-pin 5v/12v floppy connection or FDD-type

My system isn't a sli one and the manual says that a minimum of 400W is required.I think that all connectors should be plugged only on a sli board(or having two video cards).All my components consume no more than 300W and there is a 150W power remaining.The system is stable, here are the voltages(in BIOS):

+12V 11.89V

+5V 4.95V

+5VSB 4.95V

+3.3V 3.33V

-----------------------------------

Amd Athlon 64 3200+(venice E6 rev.)

DFI Lp Ut NF4 Ultra-D

Asus 7300gt top

2x512MB Corsair Value Select

2 hdd (80gb each)

Asus dvd-rw 1608p2.

Chieftec LBX-02B-B-SL with 450W true power(with Delta electronics)

I am sorry if you think your PSU is cutting it. I don't know what else to tell you except….

Stability is the name of the game. To get the stability you need in a DFI rig you need good clean power. 480W@26A with a single video card. A underpowered PSU can disrupt so many things in ones rig. The stability can go at 1st, which then gets worse and worse as time goes on. Then major power issues with the motherboard and it will seem stability related. Components can also fail or seem to cause stability issues. Basically the PSU is slowly dying and may take your motherboard and or components with it. A PSU failing can happen all of a sudden or slowly over time. There is no one person that can not say a PSU will not degrade over time. I’ve seen this many times.

The DFI LanParty mother boards were built only with overclocking in mind. So you need to give them quality, recommended components and it will make the world of difference in stability, overclocking and longevity.

You don’t put unleaded gas in a Funny Car, NO you use nitro methane.

DFI LanParty mother boards were not meant to just surf the Web or check email, NO they were thoroughly design, testing, and then produced to maximize your hardware ability to overclock.

A top marksman doesn’t buy generic off the shelf ammo, NO they use fast burning powder, precision cartridges and loads.

Tony Sinclair said it best, “You wouldn’t put a donkey in the Kentucky derby, would you”.

I’ve seen many people that have changed their under powered PSU to a quality recommended PSU on their DFI motherboard and were amazed. I have also seen the people that changed their under powered PSU and still their DFI motherboard wouldn’t work, why because those POS PSU fried the motherboard. Then they blame the DFI mother board and that is BS. Here’s another thing that get me, when someone tells someone else that you can use the 450W PSU on your LP nF4 Ultra-D it work fine on my Asus A8N-SLI Premium. no, nO and NO! DFI power requirement are much higher. There is no way you can compare a Intel, Tyan, MSI, Asus, Abit or DFI motherboards power requirements as the same. Come on; go check the manufacturer web site a read for yourself.

PSU are the life of your rig. If you’re really overclocking, gaming and really using a DFI motherboard with a under power PSU you will eventually pay. Then when it fails, you blame the motherboard, wrong it was that cheap PSU. Yes you may get lucky and it is your choice to use what ever you want, but I’m not risking my $800, $1500 or more rig on a $50 pos PSU. Good luck to all that do. Using any NON-recommended power requirements on any components is not a good idea. So why do it? There is no reason to, but to be cheap or lazy.

Look I’ve been building computers a long time, since 1985 and started around the Intel 386 maybe even 286. However, I’ve been around longer than that. I can honestly say I’ve built hundreds and hundreds of workstation pc, gamming pc, high end rigs and servers. And I’ve overclocked several hundred of those. I’ve learned you can’t use under powered, cheap generic PSU they just don’t last they damage your components and fry your motherboards. Whether you agree or disagree it is your decision to run what ever you want in you rig.

Read this thread Recommended PSU / RAM Solved My Problems! then this Recommended Power Supplies. The recommended list has plenty more options. This wasn’t meant to be harsh so please don’t take it that way. Don’t believe I don’t care but you better believe the DFI tech’s that run this site.

You need to do yourself and your system a favor and get a power supply that is known to supply quality power. The document you provided the link to can't be used to judge the quality of you psu. To comply with the current specification, which that document indicates the psu does, requires a maximum ripple on the +12V2 line of 120mv. 200mv is listed for your power supply. That's approximately 70% above the amount of ripple allowed by the ATX specifications.

Until you get the psu issue sorted out no one is going to be able to offer any help.

My 450W psu has 29A

See this link

http://www.delta.com.tw/product/ps/sps/des...S-450AA-100.pdf

-----------------------------------

Amd Athlon 64 3200+(venice E6 rev.)

DFI Lp Ut NF4 Ultra-D

Asus 7300gt top

2x512MB Corsair Value Select

2 hdd (80gb each)

Asus dvd-rw 1608p2.

Chieftec LBX-02B-B-SL with 450W true power(with Delta electronics)

Welcome to the "Street"!

Just believe what you read. Your PSU, regardless of what the specs suggest, is not even at the minimum for DFI boards (480W). The PSU is the biggest reason for failure of a perfectly great system.

I have been there done that. I speak from experience --- NOT a good experience, either!!:rolleyes: