Setting Affinity Permantly???

i_wheeldon

Hi,

I used to use a program to set the Affinity on my processor permantly (i.e Azureus on CPU0 and BF2 on CPU1). It was a command line thing where you typed the path to it in the shortcut of the program you wanted run with the commands. (i.e "C:Program FilesEA GAMESBattlefield 2BF2.exe" would become c:*name of program* 0 1 "C:Program FilesEA GAMESBattlefield 2BF2.exe" to set it to normal CPU0)

I cant remeber the name of it it and cant find it searching, Can someone help me? Or is theres better piecve of software available now

Cheers ;)

Nar, non of them are the one im after :(

It's just a file and you just run it in the shortcut of the program you want to run with the commands you want. It's the best one i've seen and simple. Set it and forget about it, unfortunatly i did forget about it and the name of it haha

I believe Microsoft make a tool that came with one of the Resource Kits (NT4 or Win2K?) that allowed you to modify the Affinity via the program's header. I did a quick Google but didn't come up with it though.

Yes, thats imagecfg.exe which is very simalar to what im on about but is limited. That one doesnt allow folders with spaces i.e. c:program files, and neither does it let you set the priority. You have to put an instance of the file in every folder of the programs you want to run.

I so wish i kept a note of the name, its about a 200K file for crying out loud haha. I was hoping someone wopuld know what i mean, Allk i can find now is programs that do exactly what Task Manager can do already or you have to run the program first then choice what you want run from your favourite's. All workd but its easier just to set it in the shortcut and forget about it

Don't have a dual core so I've never used it but will this fit the bill?

http://www.mlin.net/SMPSeesaw.shtml

No, cause again, you have to load it up and set it all the time. Task Manager can do that! Not bad find for someone without a duel core processor though, Cheers for trying ;)

The microsoft one will have to do, But i know theres a better one out there, Frustrating with having had it already before

Not bad find for someone without a duel core processor though

I ask once again why do you want to set the affinity permanently?

I was wondering this myself. I've never had to set affinity for any program. After the above statement I'm really confused though.

SOrry mate ;) Performance!

So i can run azureus on say Core0 and games on Core1, Or when im using Adobe Production Studio, I can set individual programs to use seperate cores. I get better performance that way but setting it up everytime you run the god damn things all the time is a pain in the butt. Annoying.

Before i had it set in the shortcut on my descktop for whatever i wanted run

Your the guy from the bad Crucial memory i've just noticed. Eventually got a good pair with these TD1's :) THey kick butt

The HardForum link I posted explain all the necesary steps to make dual core processors run flawlessly with every game... in my system everything, from games to software, runs near perfection and the only thing I really needed to install was the AMD64 driver.

If you are having problems with some aplications or games, or if you want to run two at same time and are having problems doing so please let us know. If a program runs only in single core mode in my system it use 50% of each core, if I open another similar software it will use the other 50% of each core and both will run with out problems like this.

Well Ill go through that page, but Azureus doesnt like running on both cores on mine for some reason. Blue screens of death or computer freezes after a bit. Set it to single core its fine.

I dont actually play BF2 anymore though and that was the worst culprite with Duel Core but things have got alot better since installing the latest drivers as well. Still like to do it with Adobe though, Do my video on one core and work on the other core at the same time, Stops it from slowing down as much, it does have its uses