DFI AM2 LanParty mini overclocking review

s e t h

hello all.

allow me to post a thought ortwo the new DFI LanParty NF590 SLI-M2R/G

> press release <

> specification <

interesting features...5 phase digital PWM controller.

northbridge and southbridge moved to next to pci-e slots creating more space on the board.

sata ports stacked on the side of the motherboard creates neater cable management :)

dual-slot gap between graphics cards allows the gpu's to run as cool as possible

maximum cpu vcore is 1.94 volts which is enough for even liquid nitrogen users.

maximum memory voltage is 3.0volts which is enough to get the fastest memory in the world to DDr2-1200 at 4-4-3 timings

top two images copied with permission from coolaler

am2-lanparty.jpg

the manual is the size of a small book...

package.jpg

my 24/7 settings..notice default vcore to the cpu

cpuz266.jpg

tested stable with dual super-pi 32M test.

dual prime95 is fine too..

even though the cpu started out as 2.0ghz it runs like an FX60 without issues.

247.jpg

max super-pi on the cpu at 3.0ghz

motherboard capable of 333fsb without any problem even on the first shipping bios.

29ss.jpg

all in all a very impressive product from DFI and a pleasure to drive.

only two settings were required to hit 333fsb stable...

CPU to northbridge HTT multiplier needed to be set to 3x above 250fsb and 2x above 295fsb.

The northbridge to southbridge HTT multiplier was set to 3x from 250fsb and remained there happily all the way to the maximum speed achieved of 349fbs.

No amount of tweaking has allowed a higher speed yet.

333fsb will be sufficient to overclock even 9x multiplier CPU’s like the Athlon64 3000+ to 3ghz.

:cool:

i did find it interesting that the nf5 chipset did not require any voltage boost to hit 333fsb.

so who knows what is actually limiting the max fsb

My sig not displaying so here's a copy :P

frost70.jpg

Am2 LanParty 8/3/6 - X2 4000+

2x1gb - team xtreem - 800

raptor 35gb - 2x zalman

a-open 700watts

some temps measured with digital probe

-33' on the fansink base and -39' for the one above it.

the digital PWM controller is the hottest thing on the board at 63'

and feels like it might burn you after a few seconds.

the tall heatsink next to it one can touch indefinately at 51'

the other small silver sinks are cool-warm

and all other IC's/mosfets are cool.

this is after 18 hours dual prime95 and ambient of measured 23' and caseless

cpu -don't know

25 hours dual-prime95

25hr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
only two settings were required to hit 333fsb stable...

CPU to northbridge HTT multiplier needed to be set to 3x above 250fsb and 2x above 295fsb.

The northbridge to southbridge HTT multiplier was set to 3x from 250fsb and remained there happily all the way to the maximum speed achieved of 349fbs.

No amount of tweaking has allowed a higher speed yet.

333fsb will be sufficient to overclock even 9x multiplier CPU’s like the Athlon64 3000+ to 3ghz.

quick question do you have to set the fsb for the nb/sb to the same as the fsb for the cpu/nb, ive never used this type of bios with these options before and am trying to oc basically the same set up mobo/cpu

• 3 months later...
Guest ElAguila

Perhaps we can make this our official LP 590 SLI oc thread. I have a couple of questions/issues. I am able to run my 4600 at 12x217 completely stable at default voltage. My GSkill memory I ran memtest on another machine and it is stable at 667 eventhough it is 533. For my oc'ing I have hit a wall at 12x217. Anything over that and prime fails. Here is what I have done so far. All settings, voltages, etc. are at default other than what I have posted below.

Changed memory multi to 200MHz to eliminate anything there:

DRAM Voltage 1.88

DRAM Driving Strength 23(default)

CPU Voltage 1.4

NB Voltage 1.26

CPU/HTT Multi 4x

CPU/C51 HTT Width 16/16

C51/MCP55 HTT Frequency Auto

C51/MCP55 Htt Multi 4x

CPU/C51 HT Drive Strength Low, Low

CPU/C51 HT Voltage 1.34

With the above settings I still cannot get past 12x217 and be prime stable. Any ideas what to do here?

Perhaps we can make this our official LP 590 SLI oc thread. I have a couple of questions/issues. I am able to run my 4600 at 12x217 completely stable at default voltage. My GSkill memory I ran memtest on another machine and it is stable at 667 eventhough it is 533. For my oc'ing I have hit a wall at 12x217. Anything over that and prime fails. Here is what I have done so far. All settings, voltages, etc. are at default other than what I have posted below.

Changed memory multi to 200MHz to eliminate anything there:

DRAM Voltage 1.88

DRAM Driving Strength 23(default)

CPU Voltage 1.4

NB Voltage 1.26

CPU/HTT Multi 4x

CPU/C51 HTT Width 16/16

C51/MCP55 HTT Frequency Auto

C51/MCP55 Htt Multi 4x

CPU/C51 HT Drive Strength Low, Low

CPU/C51 HT Voltage 1.34

With the above settings I still cannot get past 12x217 and be prime stable. Any ideas what to do here?

well first guess is try more cpu voltage...something like 1.375 vcore x 1.10 special VID.

that'll give you about 1.5 and i recommend this only with improved non-stock cooling.

don't expect much more than 2.5ghz with a standard cooler.

looking at your list i would set both CPU/HTT Multi and C51/MCP55 Htt Multi both to 3x for now - they can be tightened to 4x if possible later.

for your info i was on the initial shipping bios dated the 3rd of August 2006.

let us know how you get along please

and sure this can be the am2 lanparty overclock thread as far as i'm

concerned :cool:

i'll try post another one of these threads for the RD600 shortly.

Guest ElAguila

I am using a Freezer 64 Pro for cooling with a modded delta 90mm fan on it. I will try what you recommended and see what happens. I am using the beta bios but unfortunately there is a bug when using the 10x multi. When using that I am unable to set the memory to 200.

Guest ElAguila

Made a little progress. I am currently at 11x246. No problems there. That is with 1.392188. I used the different voltage percents and went all the way up to 1.492 and I can't get it to be prime stable at 11x255. This is with the memory still underclocked. Should I try increasing the NB voltage or the CPU/C51 ht voltage? Temps are looking good. Priming the cpu doesn't go above 47C.

11x255=2805mhz...imo your cpu is maxing on the cooling/voltage you have given it.

drop to a 9x multi and really push the board if you want to see what it can do...

the motherboard i tested never needed extra voltage at all and even at maximum speed adding voltage barely helped.

personally i'd set 266x10 at lowest workable voltage and try find a nice speed for the ram.