selecting tests in memtest86

How do I select tests in memtest86? i have it both on floppy and have burned it to dvd succesfully, and they both work fine. Only thing is, i want to configure it to use only tests 5 + 8....eg, and I have read in other forums how to do it by pressing "c" 1-3-5-enter-0, but nothing happens. the test just resumes in auto mode. I don't want to wait forever each time i make a change in bios. I'm a nube, so i hope i posted in the right place.

Maybe try a ps2 keyboard or adapter and disable usb kb support? If when you press those keys menus don't pop up your kb simply isn't being recognised.

My KB is ps2 but my mouse is usb. I'll try unplugging the mouse and using an old dell ps2 mouse and see if it works. Thanks for the replys guys.

Yeah, i can see the menu when i press "c", but whatever command i try doesn't work. It just resumes after the pause when the menu appears. Then the only way to make the menu dissappear is to hit enter again.

Thanks, Praz, I know i don't need a mouse, but i thought that it might be a usb issue as I know you have to disable usb to get the built-in memtest to work. In the bios i have the power-on by KB enabled so i can just hit any key and my pc starts up before i even sit down, so I'm already nice and comfy wit' my coffee and glasses and my feet up on the hassock :-)

BTW, i just tried disabling KB power-on just for the hell of it, but no change. This is really wierd, as of now I'm still using my asus board. i had my dfi board installed before and was attempting an overclock abiding by happy games instructions.

But when i upped the chipset voltage from it's defualt to the next higher value, it corrupted some windows files, (my fault i assume, must have had a wrong setting. I pulled the board out so as not to damage it. I asked on the forums if i might have damaged the board, and i got 2-3 responses saying no..the board should be fine, that's what the setting are there for...etc.

But while i had the dfi board in i had the same problem with memtest (latest version-1.65.) I even disabled usb support. I'm starting to take this personal ;-) j/k. I'm running out of options here. I might have to just rely on superpi, occt and prime95, and the windows version of memtest, although i really like the boot-up version becuase it tests a lot more, like cpu, cache, ram.

And it's quicker to just run tests 5+8 in between settings changes in bios for stability. I'm starting to wonder if it's some kind of port (serial) issue. But i don't see anybody else reporting these kinds of problems. Believe me, i exaust the search option before i post. I've even asked in the BE forums.

jaz

I didn't realize USB needed to be disabled on a 250GB for Memtest to work. On my Expert and Venus boards USB doesn't need to be disabled. On the Venus I use a USB keyboard to run Memtest.

Yep...Happy G. said it in his nf3 sticky and i confirmed it when i had the board up and running before. BTY Praz, i like your avatar. When are forum member "eligible" for one? Usually some forums require you post a certain amount of times before you can have one.

I didn't realize USB needed to be disabled on a 250GB for Memtest to work. On my Expert and Venus boards USB doesn't need to be disabled. On the Venus I use a USB keyboard to run Memtest.

On the nf3 250gb you must disable usb legacy support (I don't remember if kb/mouse or both) to use the inbuilt memtest. Else it will reboot or crash righ after loading.

BTY Praz, i like your avatar. When are forum member "eligible" for one? Usually some forums require you post a certain amount of times before you can have one.

Happy_Games makes the decision of who gets one, when and what it will be.