The Fan Question! 5v, 7v, 12v

Hi, i saw some posts in Your CASE thread about fan speeds, for example how to make original Case fan on 1200rpm fan go 2000rpm.

I got 2 Thermaltake 120mm with my Case.. and later i bought another one, so..

The 2 first fans:

"Thermaltake

TT-1225

DC BRUSHLESS A1225L12S

DC-12V 0.30AMP"

The one i bought later:

"Thermaltake

TT-1225

DC Brushless A1225M12S

DC-12V 0.38AMP(B)"

Now, the 2 first i bought runs at ~1350rpm~ while the one i bought later runs at like 2000rpm at least.. sounds like hell and blows enormous, why does the two ones i got with the case run at 1350rpm, while the one i bought runs at full capacity? I belive Thermaltake didnt want the fans to sound so much so they built them for 1350rpm? Or did they configurate them for 1350rpm? Could they be reconfigurable for 2000rpm / Full Capacity ?

If i make a cable like the 12v down there, is the fan going to go at 12v? The fans standard power is 12v at 1350rpm, so when i make a cable with only 12v its going to get 12v and still go 1350rpm, so the fan is Limited? How do you make the fan to go att full full capacity / ~2000rpm~

Cable power for Fans!? These configurations will work with Fans that are _____ ?

5v

attachment.php?attachmentid=4579

7v

attachment.php?attachmentid=4580

12v

attachment.php?attachmentid=4581

Please, fill in information, meaby anwser some question and you/others may learn more.

Thanks!

i think that a fan running @ a set speed at 12v is running at it's maximun designed speed you could in theory increase the voltage this will decrease the life of the component and there is no way to do this with out intrducing a second psu (higher voltage).

Yeah, that's what i thought. I was in no way going to split the yellow wire into two and connect them to the 5v and 12v. That's insane and didn't sound good to me to begin with. I guess the only thing that we can do is replace the 1200/1350rpm fans with high speed fans. I wish you luck. :)

That makes sense; whatever speed it runs at on your PSU's maximum voltage rail is as high as you're going to get it.

I have another quesiton, though. If a fan comes with a three-pin plug and you were to convert it to a molex, would you use the yellow and the red or just the red? Would using both be like shorting the rails as well?

no i think the yellow is the rpm moniter so you could reattach it and plug it in for your fan speed this would not give you fan speed control but allow you to know the rpm

Oh, I see. I imagine applying voltage to that would produce rather exciting sparks in that case, then. :D

I guess I was a little confused because I always think of red as 5V and yellow as 12V.

i've got and old psu sitting round here might just see what happens when you put the red and yellow together hehe

I know they make a diode that only allows current to go one way. I was thinking if you put a diode like that on both of the wires coming from the PSU and then joined them, the volts would just add together and it wouldn't short the PSU because the current can't go that way. But I have only enough knowledge of electronics to get me in trouble, lol

That brings me to my next question, though. How do you turn on a PSU without putting it into a motherboard? I know it's a matter of jumpering two of the pins but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Do they sell a jumper for this purpose?