Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad RIAA?

xboarder

Are you afraid that the RIAA will sue you for filesharing?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Are you afraid that the RIAA will sue you for filesharing?

• Yes, and I have stopped sharing files now
    • No, I am smarter than the RIAA and will never get caught
    • Somewhat, but who cares? I'm still just gonna take a risk
    • I'm a good law abiding citizen, I don't swapfiles!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I didn't copy things from the radio.

And IMO selling them isn't the issue. People are obtaining things for free that deserve compensation. It should be up to the creator to determine price.

Should Isaac Asimov expect his books to be freely distributed, just because you aren't selling it?

What if you wrote a C+ program that revolutionized the gaming world? Would you want it freely distributed without your permission?

I understand that if you own the CD, and you make yourself an MP3 to played on your computer, you have paid for it, and you deserve personal use in whatever way, on whatever device you wish. But making an MP3, and setting it up for access on a file sharing network is providing copies to other people.

We all have our own opinions on this, but I wouldn't want my ideas stolen, musically or otherwise. I wouldn't want my patents violated, even if they were being distributed for free. I guess you would? As long as they aren't making a profit its okay?

Let Them COME! Im not scared of them. They are a bunch of money grabing snobs! Its all about the all mighty $, which is pretty sad that all we do is think about how to get more! Think about it Really think about it... Is the RIAA going after people who share Moztart? No! Do you see his ansisters coming to sue people for trading his symponies?

Thx BigRed...and I don't think it <i>should</i> be a moral debate either, we are all entitled to our opinions. I figure the thread was put up to cover these things, and I was just vociing my thoughts.

I certainly wouldnt' be out there working for the lawyers, if they <i>did</i> price things better, people would be less motivated to circument the expense. The greed involved is a point well taken, and they are not innocent either.

Perhaps there should have been an 'other' option?

I don't file share, but I don't always abide by the law either, nobody does! (except maybe. ..... NED FLANDERS)

The RIAA are simply the bullies and thugs we think they are, picking on people who download/swap stuff somebody paid for originally anyways.

Not all the proceeds go to the artists, a good chunk line the pockets of these companies/organisations.

Perhaps it's their greed thats the problem? :smack:

Personally it doesn't effect me living down under...... :P

I personnally dont give a ... i'm canadian and they cant touch us (with proof from the university of ottawa concerning canadian internet laws about copying stuff)

I have all my files on kazaa 10 hours a day(didn't use to bfore) but with this, i do a little more for the cause.

Internet file sharing (music etc.) is part of the evolution, if they cant figure out a way to protect properly what goes around, Too bad,scrape what you can and be happy with it, that's life we're not in the 1900 anymore get with the century you're living in

UPDATE:

This is the article from the paper

TORONTO Canadians who download music for free from the internet

should be cautious but not overly worried about the U.S. recording

industry's recent legal crack down on individual file trackers,

legal expert says.

Observers say that legislative diffrences between Canada and the

U.S.and a host of practical issues will likely dissuade the Canadian

recording industry,which has far fewer ressources than his U.S.

counterpart,from taking individual music sharers to court.

" The odds of being sued are infinitesimally small.but it certainly will

make people think twice,and that alone may reduce significantly the

activity." said Michael Geist.a professor of internet law at the university

of Ottawa and technology counsel for hoskin&harcourt LLP.

Even if the Canadian recording industry was succesful in

tracking down the identity of suspected music "pirates", it's

unclear whether a legal challenge would succeed.that's because

the federal Copyright act was amended in 1997 to create a levy

on all blank recordable media, CD's, videos,essentially allowing all Canadians to legally copy music

as long as it's for personnal use anywhere you can find it.

Edited by kobalt