Bulding A New Computer.....

TDUBB

I'm bulding a new computer. I want speed and power!!!

Here are my specifications:

Main Components

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4C GHz (o/[email protected])

Motherboard: Asus P4P800 Deluxe

RAM: 512 MB OCZ DDR PC-4000 Gold Edition

Computer Mod: Kingwin KT-436B (5 80mm fans included!)

Power Supply: TTGI 520ss Quad Fan

Heatsink: Thermalright SLK-900-U

Fan & Thermal Compound: Thermaltake Smartfan II & Arctic Silver Ceramique

Storage Devices

Hard Drive: Two 10,000 RPM Western Digital Raptors (Raided! Waiting for the 80GB Raptor to come out)

CD Burner: The Plextor Premium 52/32/52

DVD Burner: Sony DRU-510A

Floppy Drive: standard floppy drive

DVD-ROM drive: Lite-On XJ-HD166S

Graphics & Imaging

Video Card: ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro

Sound

Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum

Speakers: Logitech Z-680 5.1

Inputs

Mouse: Logitech MX700

Keyboard: Eluminx Illuminated Keyboard

Total cost: $2,581.84

Note: I already have a monitor, scanner, & printer. By the time WD Raptor 80GB comes out, I will have everything set up. Then BOOM! All finished!

My current computer is a Dell XPS 550 megahertz, i had it for 5 years striaght. With 30GB Hard-Drive, Voodoo3 video card & 128MB Ram memory. It takes 50 hours to access my files, and takes another 127 hours for Microsoft Document to start. I want my new computer to be 50X better than my current computer!!! :angry:

Edited by TDUBB

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I would go with a 1 gb of ram too, but thats just me. Are you planning on overclocking? If not then you could just go with some PC3200 ram as you will not see the benefit of PC4000. Maybe that will save some money to buy a gig of ram then. :P

what up mayneeeee, now I've always stuck by Intel ever since i got my 1st computer. I don't know much about AMD. So sorry, i gotta stick with the family.

But besides the AMD, is that my only flaw? Is that i'm not getting an AMD?

what the heck?!?! You can't post twice in a row?! Thats so crapkin gay.

But anyways, Yo LobbDogg in response to your quote. Why do i need that much memory for? At one

point i was getting greedy and was thinking about a 1GB RAM, but someone told me i don't even

need that much. Will it make my CPU go noticably faster? It'll cost me $500

Edited by TDUBB

if you're paying $500 for another 512mb then you better be getting some lube with that, cuz it's outrite rape.

Shouldn't be spending $500 even on a 1 gb kit or single dimm.

anyhow to explain what the ram does: Gonna go back to the analogy book again. your computer is like your secratary. the cpu is her. The ram is that mess on top of her desk. the bigger the desk the more crap she can handle at once. hdd is the filing cabinet. it's all there, just gets pulled out and put on the desk when needed. CPU cache (L1/L2) is like those awful bins on the desk, stuff that needs to be used NOW and all the time.

FYI with an intel system or good AMD system u will see results from pc4000 @ 500mhz. Just make sure your cpu and mobo will go that high. pc4000 is about 300-450 depending on brand and CAS level u choose. Stick with Intel bro.. MUCH better.

ROFLMAO Bigred that was a good example. gotta love that.

Edited by Will Smith

silence intel boy. go buy an try an opteron out and then see what you think. all the current benchmarks are unfair for it, a 64bit chip in a 32bit os. kinda limits it's ability doesn't it. give it a 64bit os and I can promise you a 1.8ghz opteron will run that P4 3.6ghz off the table.

had to do it :)

Edited by bigred

silence intel boy. go buy an try an opteron out and then see what you think. all the current benchmarks are unfair for it, a 64bit chip in a 32bit os. kinda limits it's ability doesn't it. give it a 64bit os and I can promise you a 1.8ghz opteron will run that P4 3.6ghz off the table.

bigred, so i should just stick with the 512MB RAM right?

if you're paying $500 for another 512mb then you better be getting some lube with that, cuz it's outrite rape.

Shouldn't be spending $500 even on a 1 gb kit or single dimm.

anyhow to explain what the ram does: Gonna go back to the analogy book again. your computer is like your secratary. the cpu is her. The ram is that mess on top of her desk. the bigger the desk the more crap she can handle at once. hdd is the filing cabinet. it's all there, just gets pulled out and put on the desk when needed. CPU cache (L1/L2) is like those awful bins on the desk, stuff that needs to be used NOW and all the time.

Thats the best explanation ive heard in a long time.

$500 for ram :blink::blink::blink:

This is just me, but I would say get PC3500; its cheaper and that's probabbly all you're going to really need... Right now I'm running a simmilar setup (look at my sig for details) and the main thing holding me back from truly hitting a good OC is my ram. I'd go for some twin ram, preferably corsair or OCZ. Twin ram lets you fully unleash the power of a 800mhz proc (and good choice on Intel by the way).