NF 250 DFI Splash Screenie...

Greetings,

I am now on my third NF250 lanparty (UT NF3 250, Rev. 1), the last two have exhibited exaclty the same issue.

After a new re-build, during boot, all I get is the DFI Spalsh Screen after the single beep, and no access to the BIOS.

The processor is a Mobile Athlon 3400+. I have used this processor in another DFI nf-250 and it booted fine. As a matter of fact I've used this same hardware config (fortron power supply, memory, et al) with this same model of board and have achieved great, stable results with this processor.

(I did have to shave the dimples off the CPU Cooler Mounting Frame to get good contact with the cooler, as the mobile chip has no factory heat spreader, and is too low in the socket to fit properly with some cpu coolers.)

Is it possible that the newer BIOS the newer boards are 'likely" to have / can't see a mobile 3400? (cant get into the screen to see my bios rev...or I'd tell you which BIOS is in here.) This is a new board just received from newegg.

Or, maybe the processor is dead....will you still get a DFI Lanparty spalsh screen with a non-functional processor? Or would it even post at all?

It (the processor) was woking fine a few weeks ago, but there is always the possiblity of damage during a deconstruct.....especially with a "Naked" processor like this one.

DFI Experts, please help!

No a dead processor will not post. 5/4 and later bios should support your processor. How long did you wait for it to start up. Initial start with this processor took some time because the bios initialized at 4X200 core speed. Give it some time after the splash screen appears in case it starts slow like this one did. Have you checked your 12v. rail with a voltmeter while its running? Do you have access to a non mobile cpu to flash with? If not pm me and Ill let you use my 3400 co to get it up and going but you'll have to pay shipping both ways.

Thanks for the input! I let it sit on that post screenie for 10 min at least once, so unless it takes a R E A L L Y long time to initialize in the bios, I don't think I'll be able to flash with that 3400 Mobile of mine..

WOW, thats a generous offer to loan a proc. to me (TYVM for that offer). Fortunately I've an 1800 DLT3C I can pop in there, gotta pull it from a retired machine this AM.

Glad to hear if I get even the lanparty screenie the proc may be ok after all. I love the performance of these low-volt cpu's, would hate to lose my 3400M !

I've a lanparty nf4 too (with 939 XP 4000+ running 2.65Ghz on air (252x10.5 at 1.45v x 113%, 5.2.2.2 )), and until now I've had better luck than most with these lanparty boards it seems.

Thanks for the input, I'll post here if using the other 1800 proc to post with works for us. Thought it might be the mobile proc issue myself in this case....lets see.....BRB. lol

Oops (EDIT) , My little XP1800 fit in that LAST DFI board of mine, not the NF250. Shucks. Thats what I get for doing this w/o my morning caffine.

Fry's here I come.....right after a Rockstar (or two...)

I was really wondering how you were going to get the xp1800 to work in your 250gb.. ;)

btw.. You need to read the forum rules and make a sig with your complete system specs.. If you have multiple rigs then just list the one that your asking for help with..

Ok. Siggy done.

I was looking for the "Slaps Self" Icon, just imagine one here.

First I went to Frys and got a 3200 Desktop CPU, and it demonstrated exactly the same symptom.

Then I went back to rudimentary troubleshooting 101, and pulled all the drive cables off the MB, and tried a post.

Bingo, went right past the splash to the BIOS screen like normal, so I think I'm OK now.

I used two different (from before) IDE cables and hooked up one hard drive and the CD. My problem must have been a bad IDE cable or drive conflict, because now it posts just fine with the drives attached.

Now I've an extra 3200 from Frys, guess I'll have use this next week and see if she's worth keeping....lol. I told the sales manager this morning's purchase had a 50/50 chance of this 3200 coming back as a return, he was cool with that. Gotta love good customer service!

And thanks again for all the help.

Sorry to bug you guys with such a simple problem, but maybe someone else will read this experience and benefit from it....

I simply did not know how to interprate a freeze at the DFI Splash Sceenie, now that I can get to the BIOS I can turn that option off for a faster boot.

EDIT: I've also just determined the DVD I was loading from is "Iffy", so that or the IDE cable was definately root cause for the freeze.

Here is what my last DFI nf250 did. (BH-5 Mem)

2.64 Ghz at 5.2.2.2 timings for 25K Futuremark 2001 w/ 256M 9800Pro, athlon 3400M+

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8380533

I'd expect at least that with this board too. :)

This one has done 225 x 11 with some PC3500 KHX. did a 23K + run already.

This without vmods anywhere not even a change from stock mem settings except for vid, mem, chipset and agp volts upped, and the ati at around 470/370 on air, htt 4x.

I do like these boards....