Crucial Ballistix PC3200 problems, please help!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finishing the fourth memtest pass, everything is going according to plan :) Now just got to get it to boot Windows. This BIOS is magic, I had loads of failed boots with the other one, hanging on 3 or 2 red LEDs but not with this.

Right, Memtest was error free. I tried to boot Windows and it didn't boot, so I upped the chip set voltage to 1.7, and lowered the ram voltage to 2.6 - nothing, upped the ram to 1.7 - nothing, then I upped it to 2.8 and viola! I see the desktop!

I can not tell you how releived I am to finally boot to Windows in dual channel mode, this has been doing my head in for about a week now.

Now to run Prime to see if it gives me any ., but to get this far is an acheivement. Thanks a lot to everyone who helped but especially RGone, you're a God, your posts were so thourough and I couldn't have done it without your help, thanks a lot man. :)

Sadly, Memtest is only a good idicator when it shows errors. If it shows an error, there is a problem. It not showing an error does not mean that there is not one.

Was that the NF4 chipset voltage you were raising?

Try raising your RAM voltage a little more.

One of the things most see when seeing Ed Jacobson's "getting started installing WinXP" is to use only a single stick in the topmost Orange slot and after complete WinXP installation to then put the other stick in the other Orange slot.

When having memory problems the single stick approach to windows install is a good idea.

RGone...

Thanks for that RGone, but it seems I have managed to install Windows with dual channel at 3.0v. In fact I've had no trouble at all with my memory at 3.0v, maybe this is the answer. I'll have to run some stress tests now to find out, but for now I'm happy.

Well you saw in all the stuff people said about "what" I originally said that I had to use a LOT of volts on my early crucial attempts. Maybe it is just that way. 3.0Volts is not 3.5volts like a lot of UTT stuff takes and with cooling for the memory should never be a problem. What is a problem is memory of any brand that does not work. You seem to be 'past' that at this moment. Good luck man.

RGone...

Yea it certainly seems that way. Being a bit of a newbie to memory timings and such I was a bit concerned about setting it at 3.0v before, but I see that it needs to be 3.0v now. :)

Well it looks like we've cracked it anyway, almost 10hrs prime95 x2 instances torture test stable. Excellent! :) Thanks RGone.

That >> almost 10hrs prime95 x2 instances torture test stable. Excellent! << is very good and far ahead of what had been in second place. Hehehehe. Luck man.

RGone...

Yea it certainly seems that way. Being a bit of a newbie to memory timings and such I was a bit concerned about setting it at 3.0v before, but I see that it needs to be 3.0v now. :)

Well it looks like we've cracked it anyway, almost 10hrs prime95 x2 instances torture test stable. Excellent! :) Thanks RGone.