It won't boot... continuos long beeps

As per the title, my nf3 250Gb (754) will not boot up. When I turn it on, drives spin up, fans turn, continuos long beeps from system speaker but no more. The power LED also flashes continuously.

The problem started this morning when windows hard locked and I had to do a hard power off and start up. Then the above happened. Since then I've tried everything I could think of.

Here's what I've tried:

-cleared CMOS the DFI way

-reseated heatsink on CPU

-RAM in slot 1, then in slot 3

-other RAM in the 1 then 3

-unplugged all floppy, optical, hdd's

-different video card

I'm fairly certain it's not the PSU (Antec TP-II 430) since I've just set it up a week ago and it's been running fine. Also it's able to get lights, fans and drives to go.

I'm unable to try other motherboards or CPUs but I suspect it's one of those.

Any help would be much appreciated. I've searched these forums but nothing useful has turned up so some input from the DFI gurus would be great.

Here's my system specs in case my sig is fubared:

AMD64 'Newcastle' 3400+ @ 2.55GHz, 1.56V w/ Scythe Ninja HS | 2 x 512 MB Corsair 3200XLv1.2 @ 255MHz, 2.5-4-3-5, 2.8V | DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250Gb 4May05 bios | ATI X800 PRO ViVo @ 16 pipes 550/545 using Radeon Omega Drivers v5.7 | Antec TruePower2.0 430 PSU

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my Corsair 3200XL works in my dad's computer (Athlon XP system) but no ram works in mine. I've tried some generic 512MB DDR333 stuff.

Yea, my Corsair stick works fine in my mom's computer (AthlonXP) but not at all in my DFI even with oldest or lastest BIOS.... What kind of HD's are you running?

I have an NF3 Ultra, so i don't know if it will work but it is worth a try.

the best thing is to start from scratch, and with the basic things that a pc need on post.

B4 you start testing

Unplug motherboard, ram, video and CPU

Unplug Power on the motherboard

Reset Bios

Wait few minutes

Install your cpu and fan

Install your video card or best if you pinch your mum's one (because works) :D

Install the Ram (pinch that too) :D

and see if boots up.

If it does, replace one of the components and check the boot. Carry on replacing all the components with your once till the system doesn't boot up.

Do not connect the HDD because at this stage it's not needed and it is one less thing that could interfear.

Sorry for my broken english. Hope i have been helpful

feel free to e-mail me

Bye

I don't know much about your problem but maybe the bios has become corrupted. Here's something to try:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...el+trauma+rgone

In fact I just went thru a round of 510-2 to 510-3 to 510-1 to 310p to 414-2 and back to 510-2 and in every case I made it without much trauma. I had a couple of 3 LED hangs and shut down unplug power supply and set a few mins> hold insert key down before power on at power supply> then board and listen for beep to release insert key and get the DEL key down quick to go into bios and change tiimings and volts but never got hung out to dry with a bad bios flash. Oh most users when they see what I saw during all that flashing> go nuts and start beating and banging on parts pieces and change this or that> but I just shutdown and restart like I said and have yet to have it not come back. I might have to put my generic PC2700 stick in to get a boot up but for me flashing a bios is just so much an exercise in day to day stuff. I have done it now into the many 100's of times on the DFI boards and it just works. Every computer I have is on UPS and that is that.

I have an NF3 Ultra, so i don't know if it will work but it is worth a try.

the best thing is to start from scratch, and with the basic things that a pc need on post.

B4 you start testing

Unplug motherboard, ram, video and CPU

Unplug Power on the motherboard

Reset Bios

Wait few minutes

Install your cpu and fan

Install your video card or best if you pinch your mum's one (because works) :D

Install the Ram (pinch that too) :D

and see if boots up.

If it does, replace one of the components and check the boot. Carry on replacing all the components with your once till the system doesn't boot up.

Do not connect the HDD because at this stage it's not needed and it is one less thing that could interfear.

Sorry for my broken english. Hope i have been helpful

feel free to e-mail me

Bye

I tried this. All components removed except the essentials: cpu, psu, 1 stick of other ram, other vid card, keyboard. Same as before.

I even removed the cpu to check for broken pins - nothing out of the ordinary.

I visually inspected the motherboard for scorch marks, cracks, leaky capacitors - nothing unusual here.

So now I am truly lost. I've narrowed it down to either my cpu or the motherboard both which I can't test unless I go to a computer store or obtain one some other way.

Any further ideas would be much appreciated.

That symptom pretty much says the bios is corrupted > ""The power LED also flashes continuously.""< Or at the least bios and cmos cannot agree together to boot. I used to have this happen when over-clocked too far and I hot-flashed the bios back to life on my NF2 board since they used the same size bios chip.

RGone...

As per the title, my nf3 250Gb (754) will not boot up. When I turn it on, drives spin up, fans turn, continuos long beeps from system speaker but no more. The power LED also flashes continuously.

The problem started this morning when windows hard locked and I had to do a hard power off and start up. Then the above happened. Since then I've tried everything I could think of.

Here's what I've tried:

-cleared CMOS the DFI way

-reseated heatsink on CPU

-RAM in slot 1, then in slot 3

-other RAM in the 1 then 3

-unplugged all floppy, optical, hdd's

-different video card

I'm fairly certain it's not the PSU (Antec TP-II 430) since I've just set it up a week ago and it's been running fine. Also it's able to get lights, fans and drives to go.

I'm unable to try other motherboards or CPUs but I suspect it's one of those.

Any help would be much appreciated. I've searched these forums but nothing useful has turned up so some input from the DFI gurus would be great.

Here's my system specs in case my sig is fubared:

AMD64 'Newcastle' 3400+ @ 2.55GHz, 1.56V w/ Scythe Ninja HS | 2 x 512 MB Corsair 3200XLv1.2 @ 255MHz, 2.5-4-3-5, 2.8V | DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250Gb 4May05 bios | ATI X800 PRO ViVo @ 16 pipes 550/545 using Radeon Omega Drivers v5.7 | Antec TruePower2.0 430 PSU

Well a little searching turned this up from an OCAU sticky.

Award: At boot-up, the boot-block BIOS will look for and execute an AUTOEXEC.BAT file on a bootable diskette. Copy an Award flasher & the correct BIOS *.bin file onto a floppy and execute it automaticly by putting awdflash *.bin in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

Question: I know the above isn't a "hot" flash but, will this work in my situation?