Damaged cpu need special bios mod

Hi guys.

Need a little help. Damaged my mobile xp 2600 not to long ago. Chiped part of the core when i was mounting a vapochill unit.

Since then i have updated to athlon 64. But i still have my lanparty ultra B and the damaged cpu. The cpu actually still works and is stable but i lost almost all of the l2 cache. Now reports 64KB l2 cache instead of 512 :shake:

Cpu boots up as a mobile duron and the multipliers no longer work so it gets set to the maximum multi and i cant change it.

So at the moment its running at 22x100 = 2200mhz. Well it still makes a good backup pc and i dont really want to buy a new cpu so.

Want to ask a bios modder is there a way to turn the multiplier down so that i can up the fsb. I Need a DFI modded bios 2004/11/24 with all the multipliers above 12 removed. Need it so the bios doesnt think there are any other multipliers above 12.

Is that possible to do? Is a big favour to ask but please feel sorry for the guy at 100 fsb ;)

Regards Sideeffect

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried it and it didnt work. Cpu still booted with 22 x multi. I had default set in bios (default is 15 btw)

The cpu was unlocked to start with and to boot at anything it should boot at 15 which is its default. So it looks like the multi control is just completely gone.

After doing the wire mod windows wouldnt boot so i took them out again. I did a good job with the mod the pins would have been shorted.

Ive tried the cpu in a msi motherboard as well and it boots at the maximum multiplier in that board at 16x. Msi board is terrible though old via chipset no pci locks no cpu voltage above 1.55 so i cant use it.

so I need a bios with The higher multipliers removed if it is possible. A bios with a max multiplier of 10 - 16 would be great.

Is it possible?

If not ill have to just buy a new cpu some point in the future.

sayings how the socket mod is a physical mod(usuallhy work better then soft mods) and it didnt work, i wouldnt count on a bios mod working...i'd be thankful that it works and yea! :)

I agree..

sideeffect.. There hasnt been many bios modders hanging here lately.. But if you go to xtremesystems and contact TicTac maybe he can help.. They also have a bios modding section that probably gets more traffic then here..

GL..

Yes ill try and contact tictac or try and do it myself. By bios mod i dont mean force a specific multi in the bios I mean physically remove the upper multis.

Thats what im not sure if its possible or not i guess the multiplier options are controlled by bios and not by the chipset.

Im certain the cpu will just use the highest multiplier available to it from the motherboard i use it with its just a shame the lanparty B has such a high multi range.

sideeffect,

No guarantee's that this will work but you can extract the _en_code.bin module from the bios and then find the multipliers and you will see they have a 00 in the line.

Just change that 00 to 01 and it disables that selection in the bios. I have never tried it to see if it is removed from the auto sensing side of the bios.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Tmod

Thanks tmod. Thats worth a try. I think i have all the tools i need to do that including your package :P . Thanks for the offer of help ill post back if i get stuck.

Edit - Geez everythings so hard with NTFS. Have windows 2000, xp, xpx64 and 2003 installed. Think ill have to install win 98 now just to edit bios files easier.

Finally got cbrom to extract the bios in dos but ran out of floppy disk space so i guess i need to make a fat32 partition next. :drool:

Edit - Geez everythings so hard with NTFS.

If you are using my BiosMods v3.6 you shouldn't have any problems with NTFS.

Tmod