Anyone Else Unable To Disable 1394 Connection?

My PC appears to be running ok atm (finally)... but I seem to have a "1394 Net Adapter" in Windows that keeps popping up even though I seem to have disabled everything else in BIOS.

I've disabled the following in BIOS:

VIA 1394 Port

Onboard Audio

IrDA Connection

Serial Port

IDE Controller 1

Marvell LAN

Yet under network connections, I have:

Local Area Connection - which is my NVidia LAN

1394 Net Adapter

Is there something I forgot to disable or is this normal?

I know if I enable my VIA 1394 Port I get 1394 Adapter #2 so its not that I'm not disabling that.

if you loaded windows and then disabled it the o/s may still be looking for it and it might disregard it if you un-install from windows but often the o/s loaded with the peripheral enabled will keep windows ever looking for it until windows is installed with it disabled. I load o/s with 1394 off and it never looks for it.

RGone...

Is it visible in Device Manager --> Network Adapters? If it is and you're sure you disabled it in the BIOS, right click your computer name at the top of the devices list in Device Manager and choose "Scan for hardware changes".

if you loaded windows and then disabled it the o/s may still be looking for it and it might disregard it if you un-install from windows but often the o/s loaded with the peripheral enabled will keep windows ever looking for it until windows is installed with it disabled. I load o/s with 1394 off and it never looks for it.

Thanks for the replies RGone and Worm...

I did exactly what you said when I installed Windows RGone. I disabled everything first, then formatted the HD and installed it. I enabled it before trying to fool around with BIOS settings as well.

However, it looks like something else is popping up as "1394 Net Adapter." If I enable my VIA 1394 Port in BIOS, I get a second "1394 Net Adapter #2." If I go back and disable the VIA 1394 Port in BIOS, the "1394 Net Adapter #2" goes away.

So I'm wondering if there is something else other than my 1394 Net Adapter AND my Marvell LAN port which can be showing up as a 1394 Adapter? (BTW, if I enable Marvell LAN, I get a new "Local Area Connection" so its not that either).

Here's the link to the manual in PDF format. Right click the link and choose "Save Target As" to download it to your own PC (it's 10.9MB and slow to load online). On page #45, there's an explanation of the two 1394 adapters together with diagrams. Check to make sure that there's nothing plugged in to the one at the second location.

Well, there's a simple way to prove it one way or the other. Shutdown, remove the Audigy and see whether the port 1394 disappears or not when you boot back to the desktop again. :P

Looking at the site for the Audigy though, there does appear to be a 1394 connector on the card in which case, there should be a method of disabling it in the setup program. :eek2: