Building Of A Psu Load Tester + update 7/4/2010

This isn't much of a work log, just pictures of significant stepping stones ;).

While most of the resistores and stuff are on the way, I have started putting together the 'control pannel', there isn't too much to see now, but progress will come! Id actually be a lot further down the road of I didn't cheap out- I need a really small square screw driver to attach the resistors to the heatsink :P

Anyways, here is what I have so far:

33496386rd8.jpg

Forgive me for not adhering to standard coloring... two of the black binding posts are actually for the 5.5V and 3.3V rail, not ground, the other two are. The six reds are for the 12V. (measuring) The 24 holes underneath are for switches that are to be mounted.

edit: Oh to clarify, the metal sheet, is one of many from a shelf. Out with portability, this thing is going to be a piece of furniture as well. ;)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you care to elaborate on the schematics for this (I would assume you drew them up before commencing building) and what functionality you are aiming for from it?

I'll be interested to see how this progresses. :)

See im not much of a planner, never drew any 'real schematics' only scribbles ;) Functionality, its a load tester :) Itll be a bit more elaborate, and aesthetically pleasing than just a scrap of metal, but ill wait for the basics to take form first. This is going to be more of a process, up front, to do everything I want would cost too much, so this- I guess first version will just be the bare basics: an enormous load. Eventually, itll be a bit more elaborate such as a heat comparment to heat up units being tested, indiv amp meters for the rails and so on.

looks good - i'm excited to see where this goes. that'd be the perfect way to review psus :)

I agree - much better than throwing it in a rig and going "yep, it works!" :lol:

Roadkill - what amperage are you looking at pulling from each rail? I would think 2 amp increments past something like 10 amps would be pretty good for load-testing.

This is a VERY cool project. You had mentioned this quite a while ago and I'm glad it's still "on the burner".

I'm interested to see if a proper load can "separate the men from the boys" so to speak. If not, it'll be time for one of those PC-based o-scope setups maybe :) Anyone have an idea of the cost of those these days?

If not, it'll be time for one of those PC-based o-scope setups maybe :) Anyone have an idea of the cost of those these days?

Just about any oscilloscope is expensive. :(

Actually - integrating a standalone o-scope into that front panel to monitor voltages wouldn't be a bad idea. If you're really hammering on the PSU the DC conversion is bound to get pretty dirty.

Downfalls of several testing methods, plus some suggestions for DIY setups are discussed Here.

Any test set up, even one you build yourself requires some investment in equipment.

Currently, the setup they use over at HardOCP provides a pretty good guide to what is required to put a PSU through it's paces.

Their living document goes into a decent amount of detail and is a good starting point for anyone looking to put together something similar.