#1 kingdingeling

kingdingeling

King of the Autobahn

• Folding Member
  • 10247 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:20 PM

Read it here: http://www.overclock...ealpowerpro850/

I guess I have no excuse for not being as awesome as King... - iKillSteal

Seriously, big credit goes out to King for maintaining this list. He puts a lot of work into this thing and he deserves our thanks! - Verran

RIP

| Samsung P480-Pro | Core i3 370M 2.4GHz | 4GB DDR3-1066 | GeForce GT330M | 320GB | 14" |

#2 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15302 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:26 PM

Nice review but I don't think the system used to test the PSU is even close to loading it down (especially considering that it ran fine on the 325 watt PSU in the comparison).

Posted Image

Booyah.

#3 Ste

Ste

Upon Gleening Infinity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4934 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:35 AM

Good review, Coolermaster has some really nice products. :thumbs-up:

Representing The Crazies Since 2004

There will come a day, such a day when all will be told more than they wish to know, what one hears may explain the past, it may explain the future, but it has never made a difference either way and it will change nothing. Some day.... But that is not this day, and I don't know when, I just don't know.

"Nothing exsists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion" ---- Democritus of Abdera
I perfer to say that everything is a sea of oscilating energy, where something ends and another begins is completely arbitrary.

#4 Raife

Raife

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:50 PM

I has this in my new build (got it cheap as CompUSA was going out of business). See sig for setup. APC powerchute shows I'm pulling ~320 watts at idle.

#5 road-runner

road-runner

Posting Machine

• Folding Member
  • 10720 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:03 PM

Without a machine to properly test PSUs I think it is pointless other than advertisement for a company and the reviewer gets a free PSU good or bad....

sigimage.gif

#6 Silverfox

Silverfox

Day of the Testicle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8271 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:24 PM

Without a machine to properly test PSUs I think it is pointless other than advertisement for a company and the reviewer gets a free PSU good or bad....

I disagree - a poor PSU will still yield poor results when it comes to OC'ing and whatnot, so by ripping one apart, at least consumers get some idea of the components used, as well as build quality and whether it can sustain a reasonable load.

But yes - not many review sites have the equipment to test PSUs properly sadly.

:: T-Class Amp :: BenQ EW2430 :: PulseBox Premium ::

:: Kef Cresta :: i5 2500 :: HD 6870 :: 16GB RAM ::

#7 road-runner

road-runner

Posting Machine

• Folding Member
  • 10720 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:43 PM

I disagree - a poor PSU will still yield poor results when it comes to OC'ing and whatnot, so by ripping one apart, at least consumers get some idea of the components used, as well as build quality and whether it can sustain a reasonable load.

But yes - not many review sites have the equipment to test PSUs properly sadly.

Ok I will agree that you can see if it will at least run a rig for a few hours and whether or not it uses the better brand capacitors. I guess it will eliminate DOA brands...

sigimage.gif

#8 Silverfox

Silverfox

Day of the Testicle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8271 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:51 PM

Ok I will agree that you can see if it will at least run a rig for a few hours and whether or not it uses the better brand capacitors. I guess it will eliminate DOA brands...

That, and those POS units that are plain crap out of the box and have high pitched whines when they OC :lol:

Still, 850w is a lot of juice really. I'd have to think of some rather hefty bits and bobs to stress that in real-life conditions!

:: T-Class Amp :: BenQ EW2430 :: PulseBox Premium ::

:: Kef Cresta :: i5 2500 :: HD 6870 :: 16GB RAM ::

#9 gotdamojo06

gotdamojo06

burrr...cpu is cold

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2103 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:07 AM

Nice review but I don't think the system used to test the PSU is even close to loading it down (especially considering that it ran fine on the 325 watt PSU in the comparison).

The 325W PSU was not really a power supply, if you care to read it, my bad for not linking it in the review, it is just an auxiliary PSU to add an extra 325W to your system. I was just using the readings of the rails to compare to it.

Posted Image OCC|GOTDAMOJO06 - Reviewer
Posted Image
5226MHz

#10 iCookie

iCookie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:55 AM

I thought about getting one recently, sounds like a great PSU and all. But i've decided to wait a bit longer b4 i go hard out on a build (so no buy =[)
Dell XPS Laptop (1H 2009)
Model - TBA

Nvidia Forum 3DMark06 Compare List HERE!
PCI-E Bandwidth Scaling (x1, x4, x8, x16) Tom's Hardware Explains
Deviant Art (Super-Cookie) Art Work "Coming Soon" (2009.. to be exact)
Myspace - Click here!

#11 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15302 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:07 PM

...and whether it can sustain a reasonable load.

That's the main issue I see with PSU reviews. "Reasonable load" to me is about 90% of the maximum rated continuous output. It'd take one hell of a rig to get even close to 800 watts of real power consumption.

I'm a fan of synthetic load tests with bigass resistors.

Posted Image

Booyah.