macbook's vs laptops

I dont game on my pc at all anymore and i was concidering selling my rig and getting a laptop. I really like the feel of a macbook even a macbook pro but im also sitting here looking at vaios. Price is not a factor in this so please leave that out. I'm just looking for some cons and pros. I think there both pritty equal when it comes to s*x appeal and looks. I could probably save some cash if i went with the vaio beucase i could skimp on the ram and harddrive space and just buy new ram when i get my laptop.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vaio's are rubbish, imo. They're badly speced for the price, and the build isn't what it used to be. A macbook would be cool, especially if you plan to dual boot it. However, I'd look at some other high-end stuff first... don't just go for the name.

Guest ajmatson

Viao's are nice to some degree. I really like mine hardware side but it came with Vista and I had problems with it. Also you can't downgrade or format and install XP bios prevents it (according to Sony when I called them). Macs are nice because now you can run Mac OS and Windows (emulated).

Vaio's are rubbish, imo. They're badly speced for the price, and the build isn't what it used to be.

Agreed. If you're not looking for gaming, a Mac might be the right way to go... especially if you like all the associated software.

Well then what brand do you guys suggest? I looked at HP and i thought there laptops looked sum what cheep. Like i said my vaio build acually came out to be cheeper than the mac beucase i didnt have to upgrade to 2gb of ram and i kept the harddrive at 80gb. Are vaio's really not good anymore :( I just love the look of them.

I'm not a big fan of all the associated software on a mac :P But i do love how easy OS X was to use. Weither it be windows or mac im just going for laptop build and how the laptop looks. I'm willing to pay top dollar to.

And i dont mind useing vista at all.

I'm also looking at asus but i hate how you can customize a model and you have to pick a pre build!! What do you guys have to say about asus laptopS?

another vote for mac book.

i had a hp laptop it lasted to just past the warrenty then the PSU and the CDROM burnt out.

i got my macbook in march and i have had no problems with it. although i would say get the base model then get aftermarket ram and HD to upgrade.

I just got a macbook a week ago, and I'm impressed. I got the $1299 one--

* 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

* 1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512

* 120GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm

* SuperDrive 8x (DVD

I've compared Macbooks to Vaios before and found the Macbooks to be cheaper. You can get the Macbook with a 2.0GHz processor, 1GB of RAM, and a 80GB hard drive for only $1099. You can then go to Newegg and get 2GB of RAM for about $70, making your total come out to only $1169. If you were in college, it would have been even cheaper as you would have qualified for a student discount, for a grand total of only $1069. That's an amazing price for a Macbook. Of course, if price is not a factor, then you could always splurge a bit on the hard drive and processor (do NOT buy RAM from Apple, it is beyond overpriced).

I've had my Macbook since December and I absolutely love it. :wub:

Viao's are nice to some degree. I really like mine hardware side but it came with Vista and I had problems with it. Also you can't downgrade or format and install XP bios prevents it (according to Sony when I called them). Macs are nice because now you can run Mac OS and Windows (emulated).

it's not emulated anymore. the new mac books with intel cpus can run xp native.

also sony is full of spit. the bios can't limit which version of windows you can run.

and having worked on both... I highly recomend staying clear of the sony's. biggest problem I find with the em is the hinges. darn things pinch the cable that goes to the display and cuts it. end of notebook :(

now for the stink pad.... good LORD. from what experience would you EVER recomend that? I've had to work on them since 1994. just steaming piles of junk generation after generation. they fix one issue from the previous generation and cause another.

as far as a quality notebook outside of apple I suggest toshiba or asus. dell... it stands for Defective Equipment and Lousy Laptops for a reason. HP... we all know how good they are, gateway / emachine, lust blah.

Keep in mind that Leopard won't be coming out till October, most likely late October. So if you want to wait that long, then go ahead. But to be honest, it's simple to upgrade when Leopard comes out, so if you want it now, go for it. Plus, you get a free iPod :D