6 replies to this topic

#1 Vasto

Vasto

Sexiest OCC Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1783 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:29 PM

My dad has contact solution that expired in 1995, can I still use it?
Posted Image

#2 Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic

Bosco's Tag Team Partner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:07 PM

Don't use it on a regular basis. If you need to use it for a "quick fix" until you can get some new, you'll be okay.

It's just fancy salt water anyways....

FD 9/11/01 343 NY
FTM-PTB-RTF-EGH

#3 ClayMeow

ClayMeow

Member Title Exceeds Member Title Character Limit

• Review Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19324 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:33 PM

Don't use it on a regular basis. If you need to use it for a "quick fix" until you can get some new, you'll be okay.

It's just fancy salt water anyways....

contact solution and saline solution are two different things. Saline solution is the "fancy salt water", contact solution has other stuff to help clean the contacts. I wouldn't trust either of them with an expiration date 11 years ago in my eyes, though the saline solution, if unopened, would probably still be okay.

CMt.png
- Steam - Raptr - Xfire - GameSpot - Kongregate - IGN Blog -
- ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe - i7 3770k - NVIDIA GTX 770 - 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1866MHz -
::: Follow OCC on facebook.png ::: OCC Xfire Clan ::: OCC Steam Community Group ::: OCC Rules :::

::: OCC E3 2013 Awards ::: CES 2013 ::: COMPUTEX 2010 :::

::: Razer Sabertooth Review ::: Watch Dogs Review :::

#4 Andrewr05

Andrewr05

I'll be whatever I wanna do!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11611 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 11:03 PM

You'd probably be better off re-using the old contacts "untouched", my sister went 2 days with the same contacts and no solution one time...

ona5.png

If you see the cops - LEAVE.

If the cops are coming - Don't be there.
If you show up and the cops are already there - DISAPPEAR.
Anyplace the cops are and you aren't, is a good day

:yes: 

Rig specs:

Spoiler

#5 nan0click

nan0click

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 08:16 AM

Contact solution is cheap anyway, just pick some up at walmart or something...

AMD 64 3000+ :: MSI K8N Neo FSR :: 1024MB Corsair Value :: ATI x800GTO :: SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum :: 80GB IDE 160/300GB SATA :: DVDR/RW + DVD/CDR/RW Combo

#6 Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic

Bosco's Tag Team Partner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 08:28 AM

contact solution and saline solution are two different things. Saline solution is the "fancy salt water", contact solution has other stuff to help clean the contacts. I wouldn't trust either of them with an expiration date 11 years ago in my eyes, though the saline solution, if unopened, would probably still be okay.

Contact solution and saline solution share quite a few similarities.... and both are pretty much "fancy salt water". Would I use contact solution in an IV? No...But contact solution and saline can be interchanged for use with contacts.

The life on those products is greatly under-estimated. Take for instance Tylonol, or Advil.... The "expiration" is so far behind when the actual drug starts to lose it's effect that it's still "good" for years to come after. It's only marked that way to increase sales potential, and to cover their butt.

He'll still be okay to use it once or twice. Just don't do it often, and make sure you get "fresh" in there ASAP.

FD 9/11/01 343 NY
FTM-PTB-RTF-EGH

#7 Vasto

Vasto

Sexiest OCC Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1783 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 07:38 PM

He'll still be okay to use it once or twice. Just don't do it often, and make sure you get "fresh" in there ASAP.

Ok, thanks. I'll just use my some of my sisters until I get a chance to run to the store.
Posted Image