Cpu Intake Vent Guide

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does tHis really Help the CPU to cool more? Or is it just for looks>?

I posted performance numbers on the first page in post #12. I would say that every time I've done it to a case, I have been happy with the temp decrease. But it is worth noting that a lot of newer heatsinks now blow air "across" the motherboard, and not "toward" it. If you have one of these "tower style" coolers, this mod will not be as useful. But if you have a cooler that blows down onto the motherboard, I would say it's worth it, but the specifics will depend on your case and fan layout.

• 1 month later...

If you're looking for a cheap method but the plastic container you've used cracks or your tape falls off try this:

I used a "Pringles" can. They have metal bottoms, so I merely used self-tapping screws (4) and cut the can to the proper length.

I punched holes in the bottom and then spray painted it silver, although you could choose your favorite flavor of Pringles and continue to enjoy the advertising. ;)

PS: Temps dropped about 4-5 degrees C. w/the vent.

Edited by CoachAub

• 2 months later...
If you're looking for a cheap method but the plastic container you've used cracks or your tape falls off try this:

I used a "Pringles" can. They have metal bottoms, so I merely used self-tapping screws (4) and cut the can to the proper length.

I punched holes in the bottom and then spray painted it silver, although you could choose your favorite flavor of Pringles and continue to enjoy the advertising. ;)

PS: Temps dropped about 4-5 degrees C. w/the vent.

Thats amazing :)

If only a can of really nice beer was large enough :)

• 2 months later...
Wouldn't it be better to use it as an exhaust to get the hot air off of the CPU/heatsink?

It depends on which way the fan on your heatsink is set to blow. Most blow toward the motherboard. I tested my XP-120 with the fan both ways and found the "blow down" method to cool better. Blowing up seems like the smarter way but in my experience it doesn't provide even airflow across the whole sink.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This is cool (sorry I could not help myself).

I am researching for my first OC build (I have built a half dozen non-OC systems) Does anyone have some experience to share how to do this intake mod for a tower heat sink? The intake is on the side of the HS, not the top.

Also, according the the review of the Sedo case here: Spedo Case Review (Graph about halfway down page) if you put a fan right behind the CPU on the backside of the MB it helps cool the CPU by a similar amount to the intake vent. Has anyone any experience with this case mod to better cool the CPU?

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

If you figure out where you need to put the circle and mark it with a protractor you can fit a pencil style solder iron into the protractor and burn a very neat hole into the plastic fairly quickly too the protractor will heat up too so be careful handling it.

Use a cheap solder iron or a throw away model the plastic can gunk them up sometimes you can change the bit on them too though so if you have an old bit covered in solder or something it will work.

The iron has a heat aura it puts out so you can't put it on or outside the circle, it has to be inside and you have to move it at a constant speed, if the plastic causes too much resistance while your giving it a light push the iron is too cold, if you can find some e plastic to practice on before starting on the case that is best.

After a while cutting plastic with an iron is a lot easier then a dremel saw bit.

Edited by AnomalousX