Battlefield 3 or 4 on Laptop

npowell28

Hi just a quick query. Thanks to my insurance company i'm soon to take delivery of a Dell Precision M6800 laptop with intel i7 4800mq cpu, 8gb ram and an AMD Firepro M6100 2gb graphics card. Full spec here:-

http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/precision-m6800-workstation/pd?refid=precision-m6800-workstation&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch&isredir=true

I've researched the components but can't seem to find a benchmark for the whole laptop.

The cpu scores really well on cpu benchmark coming in at 8495 and the graphics card comes in at 2585 using passmark software. A closer look at the specs for the firepro show it to be slightly better than the Radeon hd 7770 graphics card. My question is simple. Will this laptop run Battlefield 3 and possibly 4. Not overly bothered about ultra settings. Medium in hd(hdmi to tv) will do.

Cheers Guys

N

Idk if this means anything but I played BF3 and BF4 on my Phenom II 550 BE 4GB ram and a 4890. My CPU is a huge bottleneck with the Frostbite engine, decreasing the settings from hi to low didn't change the performance any. Still maxed out at about 40fps. Running my cpu as a triple core I could get up into the 50s. Average was still in around 30fps. So that being said since the i7 is a much faster cpu than the 550 BE I would think you could get away with medium to hi settings and still get decent fps.

Edited by slick2500

Just a guess, but i'd think you'll get BF3 ok on MED and BF4 on LOW.

I disabled my SLI and ran BF4 on med/high settings at 40 fps with a gtx560ti.  I think a 7770 would be down in the 30fps range though.

The difference between bf3 and 4 is pretty big.  BF4 looks better even at lower settings, for instance my med/high settings look better than Ultra in BF3.  I'm sure you'll be able to play both of the games ok, you'll just have to tweak the setting to get the best eye candy while maintaining a good fps.

The Firepro drivers wont be as good as the Radeon versions for gaming but it should still run either game fine with lower settings assuming Dice doesn't put a driver version lock on AMD cards as they did on nvidia for BF4. I'm just curious why you didn't go for a gaming focused option vs a workstation card in your laptop choice?

The Firepro drivers wont be as good as the Radeon versions for gaming but it should still run either game fine with lower settings assuming Dice doesn't put a driver version lock on AMD cards as they did on nvidia for BF4. I'm just curious why you didn't go for a gaming focused option vs a workstation card in your laptop choice?

BF4 just pops up with a message saying that the driver version isn't supported and may cause issues.

My last laptop was a precison M90 which is a workstation laptop for CAD. They offered to replace it like for like.

Sounds like a great reason to me.

Others have already said what I would have noted. Here is a link however that may prove useful. I use it all the time when helping others decide on what mobile solutions to go with, and look at it myself for laptop purchases that occur seldomly.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

My only problem looking at this is the nature of laptop GPU testing, when you start testing GPUs in different platforms it can get real messy real quick trying to make performance comparisons when companies use different memory, CPUs, clock speeds on cards, and cooling making it hard to know if you're comparing apples to apples looking at a chart like that vs your traditional desktop chart.

BF4 just pops up with a message saying that the driver version isn't supported and may cause issues.

And in the case of some nvidia drivers now will not properly launch the game with full graphics features or in some cases not at all.  If you get stuck on an older video driver because your system isn't currently supported that can be a real pain to deal with.  When it's just a happy message that doesn't disable anything it's not really a big deal of course.