5 replies to this topic

#1 Bosco

Bosco

OCC Boss

• Senior Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32397 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

Tonight Frank takes a look at the ASUS ROG Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard.

Is this board Kickass like the previous ROG boards? Read his review and find out:

http://www.overclock...imus_6_extreme/

Main Gaming Rig
Intel 3960X
MSI X79A-GD65 8D
16GB of Corsair Vengeance
NVIDIA 780TI's in SLI
Corsair Force 3 GT 240GB SSD
Coolermaster 932 Case
Noctua D14 CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Toughpower XT Platinum 1275 Watts
3 X 24" LCD's
Donating to OCC :::: OCC Site Rules :::: OCC Reviews
RIP Verran and Nemo gone but never will be forgotten.

#2 hornybluecow

hornybluecow

I Am A Cow...

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5423 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

It was a good read. I do have a question. Was 4.75ghz the max the chip can do or the motherboard?

Having not played with a i7 4770k yet, I'm not sure what the physical limit of the cpu is vs what a motherboard can do. Like if 4.8ghz is the max any 4770k can do, than I guess, if you could describe how easy it was to hit that limit. Example: I've had my share of MB that it was a pain to hit a certain mark but the next brand/board worked like butter. Was this a simliar case being a Asus board. I never had issues overclocking a cpu yet with a Asus board.

hbbanner.jpg

Filckr Photostream / Workstation Build Guide / How to Overclock an Intel 4770K Guide

Main Rig: i7-3930K @ 4.2ghz, Asus P9X79 WS, Quadro FX 4800, Intel 335 240 GB, Vertex 4 120 GB, Raid-1 2x 3 TB, 64 GB (8x8gb) G-skill, Thermaltake Core V71, SeaSonic Plat 1000watt.

Review Test Rig: : i7-4770k @ 4.2ghz, MSI-GD65 Gaming, Geforce GTX 770 , Corsair Force GT 240 GB, Patriot 16 GB 2400 (2x8gb), (Case always changing) Thermaltake 750w.

#3 FUZi0N

FUZi0N

Nodrod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

It was a good read. I do have a question. Was 4.75ghz the max the chip can do or the motherboard?

Having not played with a i7 4770k yet, I'm not sure what the physical limit of the cpu is vs what a motherboard can do. Like if 4.8ghz is the max any 4770k can do, than I guess, if you could describe how easy it was to hit that limit. Example: I've had my share of MB that it was a pain to hit a certain mark but the next brand/board worked like butter. Was this a simliar case being a Asus board. I never had issues overclocking a cpu yet with a Asus board.

From what small amount of information I've gathered since I bought my 4770k, it's all limited on the quality of the Haswell chip plus your cooling solution. I watched a very informative video actually by newegg with a ASUS rep. It helped me understand the functions of the board and some great information about haswell.

Josh

Corsair 500R

Asus Maximus Hero VI

i7 4770k w/ Corsair H100

G.skill Trident X 2x8gb

EVGA GTX670 SC

Corsair HX1050 PSU

Kingston SSD 120GB OS

Western Digital 1TB Storage

#4 ccokeman

ccokeman

Frank <3 Reesa

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11471 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:00 AM

My Chip is a 4.7Ghz chip for the most part. I cannot boot it at 4.8 on any other board but this one and 4.8 is stable enough to run some benches before the thermals cause it to start throttleing so it may have more potential if I delid it. For the most part that puts it in the vast minority of chips out there. My retail sample is a 4.55Ghz stable chip on this board no matter what I do. My retail chip will not boot with a cache ratio of higher than 44 yet I can run 1-1 on the ES.

There are chips that will do 5.0Ghz but when you look at LinX or Prime stability most of the chips out there are in the 4.5 to 4.7 range. Heat under the lid is the problem. There is only so much surface area on the die so its really not that the cooling solutions are bad it just cannot shed enough heat through the IHS.

From what small amount of information I've gathered since I bought my 4770k, it's all limited on the quality of the Haswell chip plus your cooling solution. I watched a very informative video actually by newegg with a ASUS rep. It helped me understand the functions of the board and some great information about haswell.

JJ's videos give a lot of good advice and he knows his stuff better than any other manufacturer rep out there IMHO. The clock speeds vary widely between chips even with same batch codes.

Processor Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.6
Memory Mushkin 998995 Blackline 12GB 9-9-9-24
Motherboard MSI X58 Big Bang
Graphics ASUS GTX 580
Power Corsair AX 1200,
Monitor Gateway UXD3000, LG W3000H, ASUS VG236 x 3
Water Cooling By DangerDen & Swiftech
Follow OCC on Posted Image

#5 Smiki007

Smiki007

OC in Blood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:59 AM

Excellent review. Thanks. As always, ASUS ROG Roks! :thumbsup:

Edited by Smiki007, 16 August 2013 - 05:59 AM.

My_Rig.jpgxNCqq1.gif

Always look beyond the limits...

#6 ccokeman

ccokeman

Frank <3 Reesa

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11471 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:04 PM

Yes it does. You not only get the feature set but you really do get a well built product without issues due to the back end work they do. The feedback they get in forums on what the end users are looking for as well is really second to none. Dont get me wrong I have seen some really great boards from other camps but consistency and moving the bar higher are the keys.  

Processor Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.6
Memory Mushkin 998995 Blackline 12GB 9-9-9-24
Motherboard MSI X58 Big Bang
Graphics ASUS GTX 580
Power Corsair AX 1200,
Monitor Gateway UXD3000, LG W3000H, ASUS VG236 x 3
Water Cooling By DangerDen & Swiftech
Follow OCC on Posted Image