Trouble rebuilding Raid 5 Array

Raife

Good afternoon everyone,

BLUF - After over a year of flawless operation, my server's RAID5 is flipping out.

First the specs:

OS - Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 64-bit OEM System Builder - OEM

HD for OS - Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5

RAID Controller - HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL PCI-Express 2.0 x8 Low Profile SATA / SAS Controller Card

RAID Cables - HighPoint Int-MS-1M4S SFF-8087 to 4 SATA Fan Out Cable

Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

RAID Drives

I don't know of this is very helpful but from I read its a very bad idea to have raid 5 with 2tb drives because you have a gurenteed error based on some math which can cause rebuild errors . You have 6 2TB drives ! I'm sure someone wil jump in soon and give you a real answer .

Thanks for the info.  I am chugging along and am 59% into the rebuild without an error.

Any ideas on why the array failed to begin with?

RAID 6 should allow for a rebuild even with 2 failed drives.

Sounds like your controller or multiple of your drives are on their way out.

Ok - successful rebuild, but now I am a little worried about a disk failing again.  Would it make sense over time to swap out each drive (i.e. swap out the next one with a Seagate, let it rebuild, run for a week, swap out the next, etc...) until the entire set is replaced.

I am worried about the amount of internet forum posts that mention not using WD Green drives for RAID.

WD Green drives were initially pretty bad because they tended to park the read/write heads very aggressively and this caused them to fail quite quickly.

I don't think the lack of TLER on the Greens is really a huge issue since no consumer drives offer it other than the ones designed specifically for RAID arrays.

Can you access the SMART statistics for each drive? That will give you a little insight into which drives are healthy and which are not.