AMD main card and nVidia PhysX card?

Okay so I have read a little about this being done before just I cant seem to find out if it can still be done, I am looking into buying a new AMD card and using my GTX 285 or GTS 250 as a dedicated physx card. I see that this needs both drivers and some description or mod/hack.

Anyone know how to do this or already have it done?

Thanks people, John!

Hi johnace01! Welcome aboard the Hybrid PhysX train!

Yes this can still be done, it uses a different modification now than GenL's original hack.

please see this thread on ngohq for DLs and instructions. it's fairly straightforward. 

• Like 1

I have given it a quick look over, seems a little confusing but i'm sure once I am doing it it will all make sense!

What about drivers? Do you know if I cant update them once everything is installed and setup?

Yeah the thread OP has a lot of info and it can seem like a lot.

1) DL and run the Pre-Hybridize executable. This just installs pre-modded legacy Physx files. This step is a one-time deal.

2) DL and install AMD and nvidia drivers.

3) DL and run the Hybridize executable, with explicit Run as Administrator.

4) For each physx game/program, you'll need to at least delete/rename PhysXDevice.dll (exception being PhysxExtensions.dll. Some games require modded game executables to play, which are provided.

AMD drivers update as you want. If you update nvidia drivers,make sure there's an updated hybridize exe, cause you'll need to run that again (step 3).

• Like 2

I have given it a quick look over, seems a little confusing but i'm sure once I am doing it it will all make sense!

What about drivers? Do you know if I cant update them once everything is installed and setup?

Yes, you can update. :)

1) DL and run the Pre-Hybridize executable. This just installs pre-modded legacy Physx files. This step is a one-time deal.

4) For each physx game/program, you'll need to at least delete/rename PhysXDevice.dll (exception being PhysxExtensions.dll. Some games require modded game executables to play, which are provided.

AMD drivers update as you want. If you update nvidia drivers,make sure there's an updated hybridize exe, cause you'll need to run that again (step 3).

That makes much more sense! Not buying the card yet so I will have to bookmark this otherwise I will forget and be asking again haha!

Cheers for the help guys!

• 3 months later...

Hi Thanks for clearing it all up. I followed the first 3 steps without a problem, then tested on Tomb Raider and all seemed well until i was treated to  a BSOD upon trying to exit back to the main menu. 

This probably has something to do with me failing to understand the 4th step. Where do i find these files, because i couldn't see them in the game directory? Are they in the Nvidia folders? Also when you say rename/delete, what should it be renamed to or is it just safer to delete altogether?

In case it's relevant I'm running a GTX 550ti and a Radeon HD 7850 2GB

Any help you guys could offer is really appreciated.

Hi Thanks for clearing it all up. I followed the first 3 steps without a problem, then tested on Tomb Raider and all seemed well until i was treated to  a BSOD upon trying to exit back to the main menu. 

This probably has something to do with me failing to understand the 4th step. Where do i find these files, because i couldn't see them in the game directory? Are they in the Nvidia folders? Also when you say rename/delete, what should it be renamed to or is it just safer to delete altogether?

In case it's relevant I'm running a GTX 550ti and a Radeon HD 7850 2GB

Any help you guys could offer is really appreciated.

From what I recall, Tomb Raider is not a PhysX game...

But yes, reading back on that post, it isnt that clear. For each PhysX enabled game, in it's game directory there should be a bunch of PhysX...dll files. You need to either delete or rename at least PhysXDevice.dll, some games require more, but never PhysXExtensions.dll. The idea here is that the game can't see and load its own included .DLLs so it goes to the nvidia's directory and loads up the modded versions.

As far as renaming the files rename it to PhysXDevice.dll_old or old_PhysXDevice.dll or even cut/paste the files into it's own sub-folder in the game's directory.

Unfortunately, I don't really know what's up with your Tomb Raider (mine ran perfectly, HD5770 with GTS250 for physx).  TR isn't a PhysX game, and this mod only alters PhysX files...

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I checked it again today and it ran without a problem must have been a one off BSOD (guess i'm long overdue one). after a bit of checking i found you were right Tomb Raider isn't a PhysX game.

Thanks again for your help :)