8 replies to this topic

#1 Bosco

Bosco

OCC Boss

• Senior Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32397 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

Today Wassim takes a look at PIVOS XIOS DS Media Play.

I personally have 5 of the Pivos Aios Media Players.

How did this unit do? Read his review here:

http://www.overclock..._ds_media_play/

Main Gaming Rig
Intel 3960X
MSI X79A-GD65 8D
16GB of Corsair Vengeance
NVIDIA 780TI's in SLI
Corsair Force 3 GT 240GB SSD
Coolermaster 932 Case
Noctua D14 CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Toughpower XT Platinum 1275 Watts
3 X 24" LCD's
Donating to OCC :::: OCC Site Rules :::: OCC Reviews
RIP Verran and Nemo gone but never will be forgotten.

#2 freddie

freddie

Up the Arsenal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

Awesome. I was just looking for a new dedicated XBMC device/media player the other day and came across this but reviews were mixed.

Wassim, did you try XBMC with the Aeon skin? if so was navigating through the menus still smooth? how responsive was the remote?

#3 Wesstron

Wesstron

• Reviewer
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

I will install the skin tomorrow and let you know. The remote works well with xbmc but you have to get used to it. If you want it only for xbmc you may consider the linux xbmc firmware, but you lose the Android os in the process.  Great unit but requiers lots of forum reading lol

#4 AZNguyen

AZNguyen

Melting pot of friendship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7944 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

I'm guessing all these budget media players are doing without the old optical. They really want to force my hand and upgrade my audio gear haha.

Gaming || Intel i7 3770K || Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 || G.Skill 2x 4GB || EVGA GTX 680 2 GB || Corsair TX750 V2 ||

|| 3x Dell UltraSharp U2312HM || Corsair Vengeance K90 || Logitech G700s || Audio-gd NFB 15.32 || Hifiman HE400 ||

HTPC || Intel Celeron G530 || Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 || G.Skill 4GB || CM Elite 460W ||

NAS || Intel Pentium G630 || Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 || G.Skill 16GB || Corsair CX430 || IBM M1015 || 21 TB Storage ||

#5 bp9801

bp9801

Please press any key to continue

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8024 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:05 AM

I'm guessing all these budget media players are doing without the old optical. They really want to force my hand and upgrade my audio gear haha.

Time to stream or get out, apparently. :lol: Or just load stuff up onto a USB drive and/or SDHC card.

Intel Core i5 4690K - ASUS Z97-A - EVGA GTX 770 2GB
Mushkin Ridgeback 16GB DDR3-2133 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD - Seagate 500GB + 750GB - WD 1TB - Cooler Master SPH 1050W
ASUS Xonar Xense + Sennheiser PC-350 Xense Edition + Sennheiser HD-280 Pro + HD-555 - Thermolab BARAM 2010 - Cooler Master HAF XM

Follow OCC on facebook.png
eUYPk97.png

#6 Wesstron

Wesstron

• Reviewer
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

Wassim, did you try XBMC with the Aeon skin? if so was navigating through the menus still smooth? how responsive was the remote?

Hi freddie! I installed Aeon NOX and it works but it's a bit sluggish... that skin is pretty heavy and all the addons in it will munch on the system resources like candy lol. Very beautiful skin but I would not use it as an everyday driver in this unit IMO. If I end up installing pure XBMC firmware I will keep you informed on how it performs then :)

Time to stream or get out, apparently. :lol: Or just load stuff up onto a USB drive and/or SDHC card.

^ True... As far I can see, the easiest option is an external USB drive that will carry media between the main system and one of these media player.

#7 freddie

freddie

Up the Arsenal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

Hi freddie! I installed Aeon NOX and it works but it's a bit sluggish... that skin is pretty heavy and all the addons in it will munch on the system resources like candy lol. Very beautiful skin but I would not use it as an everyday driver in this unit IMO. If I end up installing pure XBMC firmware I will keep you informed on how it performs then :)

Cheers. Unfortunately thats my fav' skin too lol.  Its becoming more and more evident that I need a full blown HTPC for a media player.

#8 Wesstron

Wesstron

• Reviewer
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:50 AM

So Dave what's your verdict? How does it compare to the AIOS? In my case it's pretty much replacing the HTPC in the living room as an XBMC platform. BTW, I cancelled Netflix and got a Crunchyroll subscription instead LOL.

#9 Bosco

Bosco

OCC Boss

• Senior Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32397 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

So Dave what's your verdict? How does it compare to the AIOS? In my case it's pretty much replacing the HTPC in the living room as an XBMC platform. BTW, I cancelled Netflix and got a Crunchyroll subscription instead LOL.

I haven't tried it yet. Thinking about tinkering with the Asus O Play first.

Main Gaming Rig
Intel 3960X
MSI X79A-GD65 8D
16GB of Corsair Vengeance
NVIDIA 780TI's in SLI
Corsair Force 3 GT 240GB SSD
Coolermaster 932 Case
Noctua D14 CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Toughpower XT Platinum 1275 Watts
3 X 24" LCD's
Donating to OCC :::: OCC Site Rules :::: OCC Reviews
RIP Verran and Nemo gone but never will be forgotten.