Photo
- - - - -

What would be a better upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#13 EuroFight

EuroFight

I'm not lazy, I'm just energy efficient.

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1609 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Good point...upgrading to that 65nm cpu will surely help me in terms of battery life as well.

Just a question, my optical drive will not respond to anything I do. Device Manager recognizes it, but when I press the eject button, it wont respond, and even if I manually put a disk in, it won't spin. Is it dead?

Check the connectors on the optical drive or update drivers perhaps?

Processor AMD FX-6100 Hex-core, 3.3GHz > Intel Core 2 Duo, Dual-core, 1.6GHz

Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz >  Crucial 3GB DDR3 1066MHz

Graphics Radeon HD7770 + Radeon HD5570 > Intel 3000 Integrated Graphics

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Socket AM3+ > OEM Latitude XT2 Motherboard Socket P

Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA 7200.14 > Samsung 64GB SSD SATA 3Gbps

Power Supply Cooler Master Elite ATX 500W > OEM Dell Power Supply 90W

Case Zalman Z11 Plus 4x 120mm fans, 3x 80mm > OEM Dell Latitude XT Case

"Sudo make me a sandwich" - BluePanda

#14 nickk47

nickk47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Well it was working perfectly fine before so I don't think drivers are the problem.

One day, I was curious on what kind of connector the optical drive uses for a laptop, so I detached it and put it back in...and after that it won't work anymore.

I DID accidently touch the lens that reads the drive, but it still should spin the disk...or light up or do something. Anyways, I barely use it so whatever.

The person selling the CPU on eBay for some reason dropped the price to $8 shipping included, so I went ahead and ordered that too.

After all these upgrades, I think my laptop should be snappier in Windows and run Dota2 very well on the current resolution!

For some reason upgrading this crappy laptop feels really rewarding compared to upgrading a desktop. Maybe it's because the upgrades are so cheap and the benefits (should be) significant!

| AMD A10-5800K @ 4.4GHz 1.46Vcore | Asus F2A85-V | AMD 7770HD 1GB | Asus N53 Wireless | Asus 21.5 Inch LED Monitor | Corsair Force GS 128GB | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz @ 9-9-9-27 | Seasonic FL2 460W Platinum | Corsair Carbide 200R with Sound Dampening | Corsair H60 Cooler |