42 replies to this topic

#1 Phil

Phil

No longer animated :(

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2721 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Any electricians here? I'm trying to hook up a piece of electric baseboard heat and I'm stumped. The tag says it's 240 volts, but there's only one wire. Is it just not usable for a single unit with a 240V supply, or is there a way to hook this up? Both ends are essentially the same. Thanks.

P1060667docsmall_zpseeda0f37.jpg

The real cow king.

Posted Image

Antec P182, Asus Commando Green MB, Intel Core2 Quad 2.66 Ghz, Freezer 7 Pro CPU cooler, Corsair DDR2, nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX OC, 2 WD Raptors 160GB, CoolerMaster 750W PS

#2 Kamikaze_Badger

Kamikaze_Badger

(⌐■_■)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8337 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

My step-dad's an electrician, I'll ask him. Are you saying it only has a plugin for a 120v outlet? Or are you talking about just the one wire going to the heating element?

Update: You should have three wires, generally a black, white, and bare ground wire. Does the wire there strip out into three? You need to have two hots and a ground going into the element he said, I think on either side. That's about all he can do without being there in person :(.

Edited by Kamikaze_Badger, 29 December 2012 - 01:28 PM.

Is my Razer Diamondback retro yet?
s

Graciously recommended from KB, is some muffricken Christian death metal. It is a must hear, it pushes envelopes, explores new ground. Words can't describe just now incredibly awesome this is. Cue the alter smashing, bench flipping, and bible reading while thrashing away at guitars and drums.

I witnessed regional Special Olympics and Challenge Day; there's far more intellect there than there is in internet arguments.

#3 Phil

Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2721 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

Thanks.  No to all the above, just the single wire in there.

The real cow king.

Posted Image

Antec P182, Asus Commando Green MB, Intel Core2 Quad 2.66 Ghz, Freezer 7 Pro CPU cooler, Corsair DDR2, nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX OC, 2 WD Raptors 160GB, CoolerMaster 750W PS

#4 Black64

Black64

Black It Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3339 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

Could another wire or plug have rusted/broken off? From the pic it looks very likely. Or maybe is it on the other side?

Current System

[CPU]Intel Xeon W3670 (i7-970) @3.20Ghz---[CPU Cooling]Thermalright Silver Arrow---[MOBO]ASUS Rampage Gene III---[RAM]G-Skill Rip Jaws (24GB)(6x4GB)---[GPU]ASUS GTX 780 OC---[PSU]KingWin Lazar LZ-1000---[CASE]Bitfenix Colossus Venom Edition---[HDDs]WD Dives(6.5TB total storage) and Samsung 250GB SSD(boot)---[Monitors] 3X NEC 24" LCD2490WUXi ISP Panels and 1X Seiki 39" 4K monitor

PC Audio System (Speakers) Triad InRoom Silver's --- (DAC) Schiit Modi --- (AMP) Emotiva MiniX-a-100 --- (Headphones) Sennheiser Momentums and Paradigm H15NC --- (Headphone AMP) --- Schitt Magni

#5 Phil

Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2721 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

No both sides are the same.  Nothing rusted off.

The real cow king.

Posted Image

#6 Renigade

Renigade

Seminole

• Folding Member
  • 682 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

where did you get this? your missing a wire dude. you need 2 connections and there should be a ground screw to the chassis. Also you need some kind of control (Thermostatic)

This thing appears to be Old and Broken which=fire hazard. The one wire you have left looks like is 20+ years old.

Does not look safe even with an Electrician to guide you through your repairs and set up.

You don't need no stinking heater! just set up another folding machine and snuggle up to it and watch it fold ! :foldon:

Edited by Renigade, 30 December 2012 - 03:48 AM.

#7 Phil

Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2721 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:50 AM

I think I have my answer, cut the single wire to create 2 ends, one for each leg of the 220.  There is a ground lug.  The unit is a little cosmetically challenged from sitting in my shop for 30 years, but it has never been used.  An air dusting inside, some steel wool and spray paint outside, I should be good to go.  If i was worried about 30 year old wires, I'd have to rewire my whole house, lol.

The real cow king.

Posted Image

#8 ivangela

ivangela

Professional Student

• Folding Member
  • 657 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

First let me state that I am NOT an electrician.

BUT my brother is and he taught me enough for my personal use and since I have wired over 3000 feet of wire in my house, a sub panel, receptacles, switches, lights, etc and I have NEVER encountered anything with only 1 wire.

Electricity flows in a circuit which by definition needs a wire to enter and a wire to leave.

Some old school electricians did something called "breaking the neutral" where they carried load on the white (neutral) wire but that is no longer acceptable as it charges your neutrals & at the panel also.

So, like a previous poster said, there has to be another wire somewhere. Your house will have a wire with at least 3 wires in it, a black, white, and bare copper. For a 240volt you should use 12/3 to supply the electricty and it will have 4 wires in it: black, red, white, and bare copper. The black and the red supply the juice and the white is the neutral with the bare the ground.

Not sure what you mean by cutting the one wire to hook it up to the two legs of the 240. Do you mean to splice a pigtail to the one wire you have, giving you 2 and then hooking those up to the heater?

Whatever you do, it sounds like a wire is broken off somewhere. From looking at the pic, tothe left of the black wire is asmall tan nub that looks like the paper that typically wraps a wire. Is that another wire, just broken off so you can't see it?

Also the plug I see is also NOT a 240 volt plug. They look different.

Not much help I'm afraid!

Good luck, not sure the folding option will help enough, lol

HTPC......Phenom II X4 940 BE @ 3.38.....AC Freezer 64 Pro......ASUS M4A79 Deluxe......2x2GB OCZ Platinum 1066......ASUS EN9500GT......Corsair CX430 PSU......WD Caviar Black 640GB and 1 TB......LG SuperMulti Blu-ray......Silverstone Black HTPC case

New Rig....i7 3770K (stock for now)....CM Hyper 212 Evo....ASrock Z77 Extreme4....16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB....XFX Black Edition 7770....Mushkin 550W modular....Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD....2x640GB WD Black....CM Storm Scout 2

sigimage.gif

"wealth...that first and greatest of all the forces within the grasp of man" Dumas

#9 phil69

phil69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

I would google the model number and try to get a wiring diagram so you can make it to your 58 birthday.

Phil

Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, AMD Phenom II X6 1055,
BIOS 1301, Xigmatek Gaia, Corsair 8GB Dominator CMD8GX3M4A1333C7,
MSI R5750 MD1G,
WD Caviar Black 1 TB Sata III, Antec P183 Case, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

#10 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15401 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

That looks like a 120v plug to me...wiring to 240 needs 3 wires anyway right (2 hots and a neutral)?

sig.png

GTX 770 replaced with watercooled GTX780...but too lazy to change the sig.

#11 SpikeSoprano

SpikeSoprano

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

I've done enough wiring to know if you try to hot wire that unit #1=your fire insurance had better be paid up and #2= your life insurance had better include death by electrocution. :no:

CPU>I7 2600K  -MB>GIGABYTE  Z68X-UD3H-B3-MEM>16 GB KINGSTON 1600 MHZ-COOLER> HYPER 212 EVO

VIDEO>ZOTAC GTX 660 2 GB-SSD>VERTEX 3 120 GB-HD>WD 500+WD 250 GB- G500 MOUSE
CASE>ROSEWILL CHALLENGER W/4 120MM FANS-PSU> 650 WATT-MONITOR>24 INCH BENQ

#12 Phil

Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2721 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

LOL, the plug in the picture is for the table saw the heater is sitting on.  :P

There are no other wires, apparently cutting the one in the middle gives 2 leads to hook on to.  I tried Googling the part #, no joy from teh internets.

The real cow king.

Posted Image