8 replies to this topic

#1 Pteroduck

Pteroduck

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

Hi, does anyone know how to merge a drive?

I had a 320gb hard drive that i partitioned, 160 for windows7 160  for ubuntu 12.04

im planning to give someone else the hard drive and it only has 150gb's 

is there anyway i can merge the unbuntu with the windows 7 to get 320gb's again? ( yes im formatting it)

by the way, in windows 7 i cant see the other half of the drive

#2 sword_fish

sword_fish

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

since you're giving away the HDD, format it beforehand then. what do you mean to merge btw?

by the way, in windows 7 i cant see the other half of the drive

you have to assign drive letter/format the "missing" drive first via win7 disk management tool.

My Rig: Project One

2674416.png

#3 freddie

freddie

Up the Arsenal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

Fire up disk management and delete all partitions, then create a new one and you should be set.

Computer Management > Disk Management > select drive > delete all partitions > create new partition

I can give more details or an alternate method and what not if need be.

#4 VaporX

VaporX

Sapphire Gaming Evangelist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1711 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

You could also just go in and kill one partition and then merge the empty space with the existing.

Edward "Vapor-X" Crisler

Sapphire North America PR Represenative

"I don't play when it comes to gaming"

#5 freddie

freddie

Up the Arsenal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

That would make it a Dynamic disk IIRC, not sure if thats what they want..

#6 Pteroduck

Pteroduck

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Wow it worked! thanks so much!

#7 Zenphic

Zenphic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

For what it's worth, MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition is an excellent freeware partition manager. It does not allow merging of partitions, but the work-around like the others mentioned would be to delete partition 2 and then extend partition 1 to the now empty partition 2. The software is also available in a bootable ISO.

http://www.partition...on-manager.html

Edited by Zenphic, 31 December 2012 - 09:24 AM.

#8 freddie

freddie

Up the Arsenal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

For what it's worth, MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition is an excellent freeware partition manager. It does not allow merging of partitions, but the work-around like the others mentioned would be to delete partition 2 and then extend partition 1 to the now empty partition 2. The software is also available in a bootable ISO.

Yeah but if it can be done in disk management then why waste your time with this software? are there any other perceived advantages? if not then I don't see why anyone should use it.

#9 cjloki

cjloki

Demigod

• Donated T5
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3068 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

Yeah but if it can be done in disk management then why waste your time with this software? are there any other perceived advantages? if not then I don't see why anyone should use it.

+1 :withstupid:

#1) ASUS F2A85-V PRO+AMD 6800k@4.7ghz,Corsair H100,20gb Crucial Ballistix ddr3 1600@1866,xfx7970 Black,GTX650 physx,2x128gb vertex4's raid0,2x600gb WD velociraptors,Sony OptiarcDVD rw,Antec1200 Full tower,Coolmax cug-950,w8pro64, gaming

#2) ASUS rampage formula+qx9770@4ghz, Corsair h100, 4gb ocz 1200, twin cav black 500's raid/0, CF 2x6870, corsair 750, custom DIY coolermaster glite mid tower, Sony OptiarcDVD, w7pro64, main office/server/gamin

#3) Gigabyte p55ud5+I-7 875k@2.93turbo, 4g gskill PIS 2200, nvidia gt520, corsair h50, samsung f3 1tb, lg supermultiDVD, coolermaster 500w psu, raidmax sieran, win8pro64 clone, strictly folding 15k-30k ppd 

Bloodbath

Warweeny: " just let it go, be free and relax ! "