NVIDIA Geforce GTX 650Ti Reviewed

Bosco

Today OCC reviewers look at Nvidia's new offering's of the GTX 650Ti.

Reference Card http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_geforce_gtx650ti/

Asus DirectCU II TOP Edition: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_gtx650ti_dcu_top/

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only because AMD's pricing structure forces you to overpay until a competing product is introduced then they push the higher perf part into the price point. This effectively makes the lower perf part irrelevant.

Only because AMD's pricing structure forces you to overpay until a competing product is introduced then they push the higher perf part into the price point. .

I am not sure this statement is fair. At the time AMD had no direct competition and so was able to ask for more money. The 7850 at $250 on release was a steal when you realise it was running right with the GTX 570, which cost quite a bit more at the time.

That being said I will repeat what I said in another thread, raw horsepower is not the only consideration when buying a video card. These cards are designed to do one thing, GAME! nVidia does a MUCH better job of supporting gamers than AMD and the feature set as well as their web site show this. Show me an article by AMD on their gaming website that discusses how to tweak the performance from a game. Show me their chart system to show what settings will help your video card get you the most from a game. AMD does a lot of lip service to being for gamers but does nothing to back up their words.

Now I am not going to dispute that at the end of the day the 7850 has more horsepower, it does, but does it make a difference in the gaming experience? I invite you to grab a few titles and really play the game not benchmark it. Play Boprderlands 2 on a 7850 then on a 650TI and tell me there is not a game play experience difference in favor of the 650. Now play Dishonored on both and tell me that the 7850 in any way is better at game play than the 650.

Again I have both in house and the 7850 is on the shelf. At one time it was a great card, it even won our Golden Mic Award for 2012 because of what it offered. However if it had to go through that award process with what is out there today the decision would be much tougher, even at current prices.