20 replies to this topic

#1 bp9801

bp9801

Please press any key to continue

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7909 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:47 AM

New reviewer Cryonics takes a look at a budget minded cooler from Deepcool. See how well it performs in the OCC review of the Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 - http://www.overclock...l_gamma_xx_400/

AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3.6GHz - ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO - EVGA GTX 770 2GB
G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 - OCZ Agility 4 128GB SSD - Seagate 500GB + 750GB - WD 1TB - Cooler Master SPH 1050W
ASUS Xonar Xense + Sennheiser PC-350 Xense Edition + Sennheiser HD-280 Pro + HD-555 - Thermolab BARAM 2010 - Cooler Master HAF XM

Follow OCC on facebook.png
fqIbpPl.png

#2 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15210 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:46 AM

$40? I was expecting something like $25 after seeing the performance (or lack thereof). :teehee:

It'd be nice for a low-power HTPC though since it's so quiet.

Posted Image

Booyah.

#3 madmat

madmat

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

I'm wondering if the reviewer verified the contact patch on the cooler. It almost seems as if it didn't have very good contact between it and the CPU.

#4 Cryonics

Cryonics

• Reviewer
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

That was what I thought after my first couple of runs after that I pulled the Gammaxx 400 and verified that that I had an even layer of thermal paste spread across both surfaces. I reseated the heat sink several times using both the supplied thermal paste and arctic silver. Unfortunately in the end the Gammaxx 400 just was unable to dissipate the heat quickly enough. In a push/pull configuration with higher rpm fans we may have seen better performance numbers from the Gammaxx 400 but not to the point that it would have made a real difference.

Case: Mountain Mods Extended U2-UFO <> Mobo: EVGA SR-2 Classified <> Processors: Intel E5620's @ 3.8 <> Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws 12gigs <> HD's: 2 Corsair 60GB Raid 0 <> Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB <> Graphics: Xfire XFX 6990's @ 910/1310 <> PSU: Antec 1200 <> WC: XSPC Rasa 750 RS360

Posted Image

#5 madmat

madmat

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:57 PM

I wonder if one or more of the heatpipes was/is faulty. I looked up another review of the same unit after reading this review and it seemed to do pretty well. Pretty disapointing that it's so poor, the price is not bad and them including spare fan clips is a nice touch for a budget friendly cooler.

#6 Cryonics

Cryonics

• Reviewer
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

There was no visible defects in the heat pipes that I could see.

Case: Mountain Mods Extended U2-UFO <> Mobo: EVGA SR-2 Classified <> Processors: Intel E5620's @ 3.8 <> Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws 12gigs <> HD's: 2 Corsair 60GB Raid 0 <> Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB <> Graphics: Xfire XFX 6990's @ 910/1310 <> PSU: Antec 1200 <> WC: XSPC Rasa 750 RS360

Posted Image

#7 Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779

Puts on Q701s d-_-b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5259 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

I wonder if one or more of the heatpipes was/is faulty. I looked up another review of the same unit after reading this review and it seemed to do pretty well. Pretty disapointing that it's so poor, the price is not bad and them including spare fan clips is a nice touch for a budget friendly cooler.

Did you pay attention to the fact that a 3960X was used and not something like a 2600k which has a much lower heat output.

Either way the entire thing is overpriced for the performance or lack thereof that is supplies. Too me cooling comes down to three things the 211+/evo for being king of the budget coolers that slows for great performance, low temps and decent noise, the d14/phanteks 14 which both allow for the higher overclocks (unfortunately havent found any phanteks gear available in aus yet so noctura it is for now) and superb noise and finally custom water cooling.

Good first review cryo

Posted Image

Man these spammers are geniuses...put (NO SPAM) in the thread title to hide the spam.  It's brilliant.  Hopefully this doesn't catch on...what if rapists wear signs that say (NOT A RAPIST)?  They will be raping everybody! D:

Donate to OCC - You could have won an SSD or GPU

#8 madmat

madmat

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

I am so burnt out on water cooling. That's primarily why I've taken an interest in air coolers again. They've come a long way from the days of skived fin solid copper coolers with 8000+ RPM 60mmX38mm fans on them. Thank god...

#9 Cryonics

Cryonics

• Reviewer
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

Did you pay attention to the fact that a 3960X was used and not something like a 2600k which has a much lower heat output.

Either way the entire thing is overpriced for the performance or lack thereof that is supplies. Too me cooling comes down to three things the 211+/evo for being king of the budget coolers that slows for great performance, low temps and decent noise, the d14/phanteks 14 which both allow for the higher overclocks (unfortunately havent found any phanteks gear available in aus yet so noctura it is for now) and superb noise and finally custom water cooling.

Good first review cryo

Thank you Stonerboy!

Posted Image

#10 d6bmg

d6bmg

BMG FTW!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4120 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

Fail CPU cooler in terms of both performance & pricing.
Few days ago, I saw another review of deepcool cooler here and have said the same thing that nothing can beat Hyper 212+/evo in its price range.

@Cryonics: nice review!

boozei.gif

#11 d6bmg

d6bmg

BMG FTW!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4120 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:17 PM

Too me cooling comes down to three things the 211+/evo for being king of the budget coolers that slows for great performance, low temps and decent noise, the d14/phanteks 14 which both allow for the higher overclocks (unfortunately havent found any phanteks gear available in aus yet so noctura it is for now) and superb noise and finally custom water cooling.

Are you not impressed by the performance of H100? :unsure:

boozei.gif

#12 Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779

Puts on Q701s d-_-b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5259 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

Are you not impressed by the performance of H100? :unsure:

Hell no it's sucks for performance to noise compared to noctura and phanteks. That's before you get to the fact there is a 100% mark up on all the corsair water coolers in australia.

You can buy and xspc kit with rx240, d5 and res, waterblock, fans and tubing. At the same price as the H100.

At that point though you may as well step into full custom.

Posted Image

Man these spammers are geniuses...put (NO SPAM) in the thread title to hide the spam.  It's brilliant.  Hopefully this doesn't catch on...what if rapists wear signs that say (NOT A RAPIST)?  They will be raping everybody! D:

Donate to OCC - You could have won an SSD or GPU