Help on OC's ram

I currently have G skill ddr3 1600 ram Link--->http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231313

are these overclockable? and if so, can someone help me OC them?

i currently have the fx-8150 OC'd to 4.6ghz with antec kuhler 620, a gigabyte xa ud3 mobo, and 600w rosewill PSU

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just opened quite a few threads right?

Well the oc one could be separate. Anyway there is little benefit to overclocking your ram what you could do is try and tighten the timings.

You are currently using xmp, correct?

Well xmp (extreme memory profile) is a simple bios setting which will enable your RAM to run at it's rated specifications.

You could then lock those settings in manually and work towards tightening the timings but you won't see much of a benefit from it.

I wouldn't even bother overclocking the RAM. It's generally a waste of time. :P

Waco, not to start an argument but your statement is way too negative. Some apps can see up to a 10% increase in performance with overclocked ram. Some see little.

Tuning Ram can make a difference also. Some apps will run better performance at 1600MHz with tight timings even over overclocked ram, at 2400MHz.

The overview would be state what apps he uses the system for and run some benchmarks to see what frequency and timings perform better and thats where the ram needs to be tuned.

RAM has 2 important performance numbers: the frequency and the timings(CL). Let me briefly explain what all those crazy numbers in RAM are; take for example the ones you chose:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL

G-Skill - manufacturer (good choice there)

4 GB - amount

240 - Pin - number of pins on the DIMM(the ram PCB - the green thingy where the memory chips are)

DDR3 - double data rate 3 - 3rd generation of DDR - faster than DDR2 though not by much (higher frequency at the cost higher CL) and consumes less power (1.5v)

SDRAM - synchronous DRAM -currently the most widely used type of RAM memory.

1600 - frequency

PC3 12800 - maximum amount of data transfer (12.8 GB/s - this is the maximum amount of bandwidth of the memory albeit it will most likely never use that amount of bandwidth)

F3-12800CL9 - 12800 is the max bandwidth and CL9 are the timings - these timings are the number of clock cycles it needs between data getting in the RAM and data getting out of the RAM - put bluntly - so the lower the better. So even if you have high frequency RAM if the CL is too high you won't see much performance gain say 1600 CL7 vs 2000 CL10.

Now if a manufacturer slaps 1600 CL9 on their RAM that means that they guarantee that it will run at 1600 frequency and 9 CL. However that doesn't mean you can't get lucky and manage to get higher results than that - say 1600 CL7(for example i got unlucky :P and couldn't manage to get higher than manufacturer freq+CL)

Here's a noob- friendly guide:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/152